Question: Identify: boy or girl? Please help me solve the mystery :)

Beate88

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Have had my two young axies for a bit over a month I guess, and I do wonder about the genders.

Axelotl 1:
The smallest one, no black toes yet. Or the claws on his hind legs do have a dark shade to them.

beate88-albums-axies-picture12432-img-1763-small.jpg

beate88-albums-axies-picture12433-img-1766-small.jpg

Axolotl 2:
The biggest one. Larger gills, larger apetite. Back claws are black. Front are shading.

beate88-albums-axies-picture12434-img-1764-big.jpg

I know it can be tricky since they arent really mature yet. My guess is that the first one is male and the second is female. Guess as much as hopes :p

I think you are right about the first being male and the second female. Genders are best to wait for until they are mature to tell properly though.

I hope we are both right then! :happy: Would be fun if they one day laid eggs

I think they're still a bit too young to know what they are. I have an wild type axie that sometimes look like a male and then a few minutes later the 'bulge' looks less.... so that he/she/it looks more like a female. Pretty frustrating sometimes... especially when I really want some male axies. But your axie on the first pic somehow looks a bit.... like a male.

They are too young to sex just yet.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back