HappySkittles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lizzy
I now have access to one of those python water siphons

http://cse.f3images.com/IMD/feeds/PY1211_50.jpg

for those who dont know what it is. you hook it up to your sink. when the attachment is twisted one way it sucks water out the tank when you turn thr faucet on. when its twisted the other way it puts tap water back in.

im wondering how safe it is to suck the water out, replace right into the tank from the tap via the siphon and THEN condition the water in the whole tank

i used to use a bucket and condition the water in the bucket then add to the tank but this python will make water changes SO MUCH SIMPLER

BUT i dont want to cut corners and hurt the pets i've waited years to find

these would be VERY frequent small water changes to suck out poo and uneaten food so i was thinking this wouldnt harm the lotls if i did my changes with the siphon

Last edited:
It looks to me like one of the old water bed siphons. It uses the water flow from the sink to draw out the tank water. If your tank is higher than your sink then you would only have to use it to start the siphon.

i know how it works
im not asking about the actual siphon im asking about the water...re-read my post please

How big is your tank? I don't see how that device is any easier unless the tank were relatively close to the sink...If you have chlorine in your water your supposed to let it sit for a few days before the water change..

I also have a python. If you don't feel comfortable conditioning the water with axies in, you can remove them temporarily until the conditioner does its job (just a few minutes). Some may view this as stressful to the axies. You can also use the python to remove water/waste and the bucket method to add the treated water - this is what I did before I had a filter system installed under my sink.

derek im not asking about the python

thank you shannon. i feel better about adding the water in this location straight and conditioning in tank than i did in my previous location (a big city)

i was just wondering if the temporary exposure to untreated water would hurt them in any way no matter where it came from. if they could take this small amount of untreated water for a few minutes then i will do it this way. its easier for me to keep the tank extra clean for the 5 axies that live in it

and i LOVE your axies gills
mine arent so long (they are a good length though) but they are very very fluffy and full
if they were as long as yours and still as fluffy mine would be even more gorgeous :p

Hello, id use a turkey baster for removing food and poo on a daily basis its alot easier, a lot less hassle and wont remove as much water as using a syphon, id only use a syphon for the weekly 10-20% water change but for general spot cleaning a turkey baster will work wonders! if you are doing 10-20% weekly changes the chlorine in the water should not get to a dangerous level as will be quickly diluted so shouldnt be too much of a problem treating it in the tank!

Last edited:
turkey basters work GREAT but not in a 50 gallon tank with 5 axolotls
i use basters in my 3 gallon saltwater set ups to clean up the mess in there

i was trying daily clean ups with a siphon before and it worked fine as far as removing waste but not much water but it was with buckets and i started to just do weekly actual water changes because the buckets were difficult (i had to carry water from the second floor to the third floor on a twisty staircase)

Last edited:
A temporary exposure to unconditioned water shouldn't be a problem at all, especially if you have chlorinated water and not water with chloramine added.

I hope your python works better for you than mine. My taps could not produce enough water pressure to siphon water from below faucet level.

Hi Liz,

I have multiple axies myself so yes, I have found the python much more effective in waste removal. (I have 5 in one 55, 4 in another, 2 in a 29, and 3 andersoni in a 55 - but all on the same level! @you - ouch!) I do use a turkey baster occasionally because I have a couple of comedians who think there's nothing funnier than to deliver a nice big present after I have put the python away! lol

Abrahm brings up a good point about chlorine vs. chloramines and you might want to check with your local public works dept. or water authority. Get a report if you dare...mine frightened me into installing the filter system I mentioned!

Anyway, thank you so much for the compliment about Osiris (my avatar), but I am sure your axies are quite lovely too! I wish you continued success with the python! I couldn't imagine life without mine - take care!

@Abrahm - I have to turn on both sides of my tap to produce enough pressure for the suction...

I know it's been a long time since I've posted, but I wanted to just post how I've been doing with the python in case anyone else had the same question I did.
I've had no issues with the axolotls and conditioning water changes in the tank :D I use prime

My 4 are doing well! I lost one of them...we moved from PA to GA and I guess the one just couldn't handle the move? Lost one of my rats too soon after the move...poor old gal

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back