Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotll, Help please !

ajf95

Reaction score
Hi , i just got a new baby axolotl, i have never had a axolotl before so are a bit confused about what to do with him and i am quite worried incse im doing somethign wrong.
yesturday i put a jar in his tank and put the blood worms in the jar to try and cut down on mess. When he eventually found how to get inthe jar he took a huge mouthfull of aboout 40 blood worms at once, he then spat out most of them. Is this normal?
Also when i put blood worms or frozen cubes in the quantity that normally come in the bag is much more than he should be consuming. Becuase obviously i cannot pick the blood worms out individually as there too small i just put the full bag in. So i just leave them inthe tank for a couple of days till they all die. That way he can gradually come back to them when he wants . Im not sure wether this is overfeeding him. Is that bad ?
Do you have any ideas of what i can feed him that is big enough to pick out with tweezers, and ok to feed a baby?
Pleasee help , thankss

seksee

Reaction score
hello

i am by no means an expert but just thought i would pass on tips i have learnt form the guys here!

the best thing to do is to put the frozen bloodworm cube into some of the tank water in a glass or something. once they have thawed out, use a tube baster to suck up a few of the bloodworms at a time and then squirt them into the jar. this way you can control how many you give and can control the mess!

how old/big is the axolotl? the best food for axolotls is earthworms although he may be too young for them at the moment..

but.. if any of this info is incorrect then hopefully some of the more experienced members here will put me in my place :D

ciao :p

dragonlady

Reaction score
A general rule for feeding is to remove whatever they have not eaten in 15 min. Anything left in the tank beyond that can foul the water and mess up your chemistry. I would try to break off bits of the cube to get closer to the right amount - break or cut it in half for example. If you can, buy the frozen bloodworms in a flatpack, this would make it much easier to control the quantity.

As seksee stated, a lot depends on the size of your axie. Thawing them out first is definitely the better method too. If he's about 9cm or larger, then as seksee said, earthworms are great! You can cut those into smaller pieces too to help your little guy.

blackdog

Reaction score
Search this site.

There is more than enough info to learn everything you need to know.

But really, why buy an animal when you have made no effort to learn about before purchasing?

I dont get it.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Visit Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander - if you scroll to the top of this page, you will see a list of tabs in a gray bar, the last one reads Caudata.org sites. Click on that and it will lead you to all the other areas available.

It is of vital importance that you get and keep his environment stable in order for him to thrive. Should you need further advice, please don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to support you in your new adventure. ;)

ajf95

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I have just measured my axolotl and although he looks quite small he is about 8 cm. I have also noticed the blood worms are coming out undigested so think I perhaps did go overboard with the amounts. I will try the worms and see how well he does. Also I would like to say I could be bothered researching the animal before I purchaed him but all the sites said different things and I was confused. Thanks again for the advice .:happy:

crazyferret

Reaction score
Hi

I know what you mean about being confused, books are the worst if i had gone with this one book i would have my axies on gravel and being cook with a heater :mad:

Thankfully i find this site before i had got my axies :D

But even after a year of having axolotls in my life i still worry if i'm doing things right for them :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1