Do axies like moss balls?

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've heard several people saying their axies like moss balls. Are they OK in an axie tank? And do they really like it? And do they really 'play' with them? (A friend told me something like that)

Do they actually like things in their tank to play with? (Like what?)

Last edited:
I assume its my posts you're referring to as to the convos about Moss Balls as I've been nattering about them all day so I'll just put my oar in.

I added another 7 to my tanks today.

Since I have come home I don't think I have seen either of my axies not touching or standing on a Moss Ball.

I think they enjoy how soft they are, and how they move when touched.

You will also find they enjoy landing on them after a swim.

Hope that helps.

After seeing Daz mention them a few times I've just been reading about these.

They are pretty odd! But also seem a good idea to have in the tank. Not only for keeping the axies happy but they also help keep it clean. I was considering getting shrimp, after seeing another of Daz's posts (I'm no stalker, I swear!), and now I think I want both! Although knowing me I'd get attached to the shrimp and not want the axolotls to munch them up!

Just wondering where you got your moss balls from, Daz?

hahaha, that's alright mate.

I also read they help keep algae down, and i have pretty clear water so can't be bad.

I get them from an online auction site from a seller called Mosymo. Very good and you always get more than you pay for.

After seeing this thread I've been over with my Axies and Barney my littlest is having a wail of a time, doing a lot of swimming, so much so I did a quick film which I'm uploading now...

Fred's pretty quiet although has been walking about and climbing on his but he isn't as active as the juvie, anyway, glad I could help spread the word on these wonderful tank additions.

I believe HMAxolotl also uses Moss Balls, I believe she actually gave me the original OK when asking about em.

Here's some Moss ball related pics :)

SNV33371.jpg

SNV33368.jpg

SNV33372.jpg

I know that axies love to play with balls that are heavy enough to sink but light enough to be pushed around. Also budgie toys, which they sit on.

I love moss balls,
I have quite a few in my tanks and tubs.

The only thing is my adults eat them....they rip them up and eat them.
They seem to do this to all plants.

I thought they might be spittting them out after a chew but its been coming out in their poo.
Silly axolotls!!

Mel

Your axies eat your plants!?
I thought I was the only one. Alonzo secretly wants to be a vegetarian hippy... I wonder if I can get moss balls here in NZ.

They do!
I thought they were probably spitting them out but the bits of mossball come all the way through!!

Mel

I think they eat anything that is moving about in the water lol.

Ive only got the 1 moss ball at the moment and after a few head butts from Moomin and evo they tent to leave alone but Ive found my wild axie twiglet likes to sit on it. Hes the lazy one out of the 3 so maybe he likes the softness :)
When I get a bigger tank ill definetly be getting more tho. I was hoping it would help with the levels of nitrite but its not :( maybe I just need more lol

I know that axies love to play with balls that are heavy enough to sink but light enough to be pushed around. Also budgie toys, which they sit on.

I've found something about ping pong balls yesterday in axie tanks. I can't find the right web page anymore, but it said something like a ping pong ball needs to have about 2 little holes in it to make it sink and fill with water. Maybe a funny idea?

I've found something about ping pong balls yesterday in axie tanks. I can't find the right web page anymore, but it said something like a ping pong ball needs to have about 2 little holes in it to make it sink and fill with water. Maybe a funny idea?
That's funny!! You could start an axie football team,hehe...

Yeah :cool:
I put one in the tank an hour ago and my male axie thought it was a funny idea to bump his head against it. :wacko:

Hellooo,
Just found out that some moss balls arent even moss at all! Some are "a desirable algae"
Maidenhead Aquatics, Chladoflora aegagropila 'Moss ball' (Chladoflora aegagropila 'Moss ball')

And about the budgie toys, I think this pic says it all!
ted22-albums-gomez-axolotl-picture10518-sorry-bout-bad-picture-quality-should-provide-giggle-tho.jpg

I did try the pingpong balls but he diddnt really play with them they just ended up getting stuck in his cave but the hoops have proved a hit! always hanging on em and dragging them about the tank, I just attached them to a ping pong to make them float. simple!

Laters

Ed

yeah ted, you gotta make sure you get the real deal.

Real moss balls are called marimo and have a distinctive texture.

Some shopes wrap polystyrene balls in java moss, these are rubbish.

Real moss balls will sink, java ones tend not to.

I have a few in the windowsill now for full light with added fertilizer to see how much faster it will grow. Just for the Ss & Gs.

Last edited:
I think there are also plants that are round, and people have sworn up and down to me that they're the same as marimo, when they had leaves. Generally, I'd search under marimo, since I've seen all sorts of things called moss balls. ...Especially since, I don't think they're moss. Most of my pets that I've put them with will push them around with their nose. Except the dwarf frogs, which are too small to move them. And that is very sad. :(

Everything loves marimo. Everything.
Besides, they're really hard to kill. (I'm ashamed to say I have indeed killed marimo once.)
Finding them is the hard part though. Just look for velvety ones. They're so soft and velvety...

OK my love for moss is growing, both tanks now have moss balls and they always being climbed on of pushed around so it's great to see the little fellas have some fun.

As an experiment I have 3 moss balls of varying sizes in some water in direct sunlight in my windowsill.

I wanted to see how much faster they would grow there as the direct sunlight creates algae etc,

One strange thing noticed is that in direct sunlight the moss balls float to the top, however when it gets dark they drop back down.

IMAG0437.jpg

Next in my moss adventures is a DIY Java Moss wall...

Moss balls are way cool if you get real ones.

A lot of people have been strapping moss to foam balls and even racket balls and passing them off as moss balls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back