Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Aquascaping ideas?

tmorgan

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank and I am slowly starting to begin learning about live plants and aquascaping. :rolleyes: I was wondering if anyone had any good/ creative ideas for aquascaping?
Or maybe show me how you have done yours to give me some ideas? :bowl::bowl::bowl:
Thank you!:D

morphyrichards

Reaction score
Sand - light / white pros makes axl highly visible cons grows green algae & needs stirring lots
Sand - dark / black pros not such a prob with algae growth but axl is less visible.
Large river pebbles scattered around. Use them to protect plant roots from axl's digging.
Elodea, Java fern ...
Get some plastic mesh from a garden or homestore and some jave moss and grow a java moss wall along the back of your tank, this will really help regulate water quality by sucking up nitrates.
Fake plastic logs or caves made from slate ....

I think you should just basically have some fun with your new tanks and bits and bobs and see what happens!

tmorgan

Reaction score
Ok thank you guys! I've started a little bit. I really want to learn how to grow a moss wall instead of a background. I love the idea. I don't like the backgrounds sold at stores. I have about 6 plants in my tank now, but I want more. >_< *sigh* Better start setting aside more aquarium money!
:)

sek

Reaction score
I'm going to have a 'moss wall' in my aquarium, but it probably won't be moss because NZ sucks like that. I'm thinking maybe a crypt wall instead. My substrate will also be made out of the background stuff aquariums sell. I can't wait to get my new tank and get it started. You should post pictures of yours!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!