Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2nd batch, strange colour eggs

tomkeogh

Reaction score
My Leucistic Mulder laid her first batch between the 1st and 3rd or august, there was around 500 eggs and less than 10% were 'dud' the last three days she has been laying again this time however there are only around a hundred eggs and they are all half brown half white so I think they are all 'dud' my plan is to just leave the eggs for her to consume, I have also just finished making a four footer so I will also separate the pair.

Could some one please tell me if it is a better idea to remove the bad eggs and if this batch might show a health problem

bayhicoach

Reaction score
What size tank are the eggs in now? The break down of the eggs, whether they are good or not, will take its toll on water quality to some extent. Viable eggs will develop and not contribute to poor water quality unless the embryos or larvae die. Once they hatch, of course they become food for your adults.

BTW, what did you do with the 450 axies you got from your first batch?

Did the first batch of eggs look different from the current batch? Maybe you're just seeing the polar ends of the early stages of development. Check out this site Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) - Embryonic developmental stages to see what I'm referring to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1