Would this be ok as a temporary tank?

LadyJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Just looking for a quick bit of advice. A friend of mine works in a pet shop and, while amphibians really are not their thing, they have been handed a 6cm axolotl. I would really like to take him on but my large tanks are nowhere near ready. However after my failed batch of eggs I do have a smaller tank ready, that I planned to use as a 'in-between' tank for the hatchings. It is approx 45cm long, 20cm wide and 30cm high. If that would be an ok tank, how often would water changes (or partial changes) be needed? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds fine for him as a temp tank.
Is it cycled? Does it have a filter?

If its cycled then weekly or so 20% change should be ok.
If it has a filter than 20% daily changes will be needed until the tank cycles,
If there is no filter then i would do 50% daily changes.

Hope this helps

mel

Thanks for that :happy: It dosnt have a filter but i can get a small internal one if that would be better? its planted up and has an inch of aquarium sand with a small reptile cave as a hide, does this sound ok?

Yeah that's fine..just be careful of increases in temps with an internal filter on a small tank. How long are you going to use this tank?

2 weeks at the most, all going well with the large tank, would that be ok?

If you use an internal small filter just make sure the current isn't too strong. In a small tank it can really get too much for an axie.

You might not want to use the sand as hatchlings are tiny and sand can present impaction problems for them just like gravel can as subadults and adults.

If you want a small, fairly inexpensive filter, I would consider using a sponge filter or a Tetra 3i.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back