Photo: 32 days old, 31mm long and what is that???

MereB

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Meredyth
We've made it to a month YAY!!!!!!!

Fish is now 32 days post hatching, 31 mm long and had is first couple of teenie tiny baby worms that I just happened to pick up while getting his parents dinner :D

But what the heck is that at what I'm guessing is his cloaca, isn't it a bit far back to be his back legs? They are on both sides and "look" like tiny leg buds but seem far too far back. Guess I shall have to wait and see but for your viewing pleasure

Fish...
Length and feet finally both facing the right way
mereb-albums-fish-picture12531-fish-32-days-31mm.jpg

His emerging pattern. Those dots are starting to for lines and patterns now
mereb-albums-fish-picture12532-pattern-back-32-days.jpg
mereb-albums-fish-picture12533-pattern-head-32-days.jpg

And his legs or just his butt that's now big enough to photograph???
mereb-albums-fish-picture12534-light-spot-legs-1.jpg
mereb-albums-fish-picture12535-light-spot-legs-2.jpg
mereb-albums-fish-picture12536-light-spot-legs-3.jpg

Attached:
Fish over his first month. His pattern has really changed.

Attachments

• Fish the first month.jpg
    Fish the first month.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 250
Don't know either actually, but I sure love that growing picture :D

While I do think you're a bit paranoid about every little thing, I have to say I love your photographs. I do think those are his hind leg buds and since it's symmetrical, I'd say it has to be (Also, the timing is right for hind leg buds). Problems are not usually symmetrical. Keep up the good work.

He's grown so much! I love little Fish.

While I do think you're a bit paranoid about every little thing, I have to say I love your photographs. I do think those are his hind leg buds and since it's symmetrical, I'd say it has to be (Also, the timing is right for hind leg buds). Problems are not usually symmetrical. Keep up the good work.

I'm not worried about it at all just curious as to whether it really was his back legs coming in at last or not as all they are at present is little bumps that could quite easily be passed of as swelling or the natural growth of his butt. I was not worried in the slightest (symmetry was one reason why) :D just curious as to whether it WAS the right spot to be looking for his hind legs and since there was some interest in me putting up pics of him when his hind legs started coming in I did so. I'm going to assume that as Fish's daddy's lower tail fin does not go up between his legs that it too in time will shrink back to behind Fish's legs if that is indeed what they are. Again NOT worried! I have NO clue just where their legs come in at having not done this before and I have only full grown axies to compare him to and compared to his parents his fin under his tail is too far up compared to his bumps.
Apparently I'm not the only one here who doesn't know what they are either :D STILL NOT WORRIED.

This thread was about an excited mum showing him off NOT because I was worried about him and I am assuming they are his legs. He just happened to have his bumps when I took his measurements and I managed to get pics of one of them.
If you go back over my threads you will see I noticed some teenie lumps on him just after his front legs grew that I had hoped were his legs but couldn't get pics. I wasn't worried then either just hopeful.

What "every little thing" are you on about anyway. I had ONE semi-concern that I posted about his leg and after learning from more experienced members that legs do often regrow backward and what not and that those axies were fine any fear I had was relieved. I was more dissappointed that MY baby might not have been perfect than I was worried about it and wondered if it was something other ppls babies did or not as it seemed it grew in right and he was for whatever reason walking on the back of his hand. Over the past 5 days it seems he's gotten stronger and is now holding it as it should be. :rofl: a case of lazy arm

I'm glad you like my Pics bayhicoach and you are entitled to your opinion, as am I and I am sorry for the long winded response and I'm not trying to attack you but I think calling me paranoid about every little thing was a bit uncalled for! I do hope you're right though and they ARE his legs :happy: can't wait for them to grow SO exciting!

hehe Thanks Neo I love him too. He seems to stay the same for a while then all of a sudden almost overnight he grows 1/2 a cm :rofl:

Thanks everyone, he's grown so much :eek: it's fun watching him seeing all his "first's" LOL I'm almost as excited over him as I am my human children :rofl: getting really anxious to see what color he will finally end up being :happy: Who knew you could get this obsessed about an axolotl :rolleyes:

What "every little thing" are you on about anyway. I had ONE semi-concern that I posted about his leg and after learning from more experienced members that legs do often regrow backward

I think calling me paranoid about every little thing was a bit uncalled for! I do hope you're right though and they ARE his legs

Perhaps if you'd lighten up a bit you'd see the humor in the comment instead of taking offense. I've said more than one time that your pictures are excellent and will assist others in actually seeing things that most of us can't see because they're so small. Take a breath but keep posting your pics.

(Typed in a calm, quiet and querying tone)
Perhaps if you'd lighten up a bit you'd see the humor in the comment instead of taking offense.
I read your comment many times, trying to read it differently and I'm sorry but just where is the humor is calling someone paranoid (Unreasonably or obsessively anxious, suspicious, or mistrustful)? I also can't quite see the point of insulting me for a second time. I am perfectly light and am breathing just fine thank you for your concern.

I may seem to be obsessive about the little critter and his development but I'm excited, surprised and proud that we made it to a month on our first attempt, even more so given he was the only egg to hatch from the clutch, and keen to see him grow and can't quite seem to see how having ONE concern or asking more experienced members what they think or for confirmation makes me Unreasonably or obsessively anxious!
Perhaps you should go back and read your post and make sure you worded it the way you think you did as there aren't many ways to take

While I do think you're a bit paranoid about every little thing,
Granted it was the precursor to you liking my pics and aside from that first part it was a very positive post and that first statement is your opinion but why am I not allowed to take offense at being wrongfully labeled paranoid by a person who has only read a few posts and has no clue what or how I am feeling or how much of my day is actually spent monitoring little Fish? (long enough to feed him and do his daily care & check him over for what it's worth and taking pics once a week unless I see something new)
That portion of you original post was entirely unnecessary and thoroughly inappropriate. You're statements about my images and views on his bumps would have been just as effective in conveying your message if you had left that bit off and perhaps in future you will refrain from calling people you don't know things they are not just as I have tried to refrain from forming an opinion of you in general as a person based solely on your posts to this thread.
(end calm, quiet & questioning tone and insert a happy, slightly flattered but matter of fact one)

Thank you I take a lot of trouble to take good photos of him 1st because I LOVE Photography and I'm a perfectionist at heart and 2nd because, as you said, they are SO tiny and hard to see so through the zoomed eye of the camera is the only way I can really see him in all his detail with his tiny little pattern and cute little gills and I am enjoying seeing it change over time.
If that in turn helps other people then I am glad of that as well.
To the naked eye he doesn't look much different to his pics from 8 days right now :rolleyes: just yellow with tiny dots.
For what it's worth his bumps are looking a little more stump like today but without the camera I can't see all that much :lol:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back