Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Presentation of frozen bloodworms?

DeCypher

Reaction score
I just bought a bunch of frozen bloodworms and the newts didn't even notice them! Any ways of presenting them so that the newts will notice them?

evut

Reaction score
Blood worms should produce a smell which is very attractive for newts. After defrosting them on a piece of tissue try picking a few with feeding tongs or tweezers and wiggle them in front of the newts (they are aquatic, right?)
If they're terrestrial then it will be more difficult but they can be taught to pick them up from a piece of tissue.

allegoriest

Reaction score
You might be able to get them to eat them from a dropper. I put them in a cup and add water, then use the dropper. ...However, I've never tried this on terrestrial pets. (And... uhh... use decholrinated water and all.)
I mean, picking up individual worms might eventually drive you insane since they're rather tiny. (I know I'd quit maybe... five worms in.)

Maybe you can try a small tray, like something for a little potted plant to put the worms in, and lure them over with whatever you normally feed them. Like someone else already said, apparently they smell fantastically delicious. (...I don't smell the appeal personally, but the little guys I feed them to really seem to think they do.)

DeCypher

Reaction score
I wiggled a bunch of the worms in front of the fattest newt and he gulped them down pretty good. I notice the worms losing their red color and turning brown after being in there a day or so. Will they still be appetizing or do I need to dispose of them?

evut

Reaction score
Don't leave the food in the tank for so long. Usual recommended times for feeding are about 15-20 minutes I think - after that you should remove uneaten items or your water quality will suffer. I still don't know if we're talking about aquatic or terrestrial animals...?

Try to aim for an amount that the newts can manage in a single sitting and you won't have to clean up. If I'm feeding my 4 C. pyrrhogaster blood worms, I give them a whole cube and it disappears very quickly with no leftovers.

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Bloodworms decompose very fast once thawed. 1 day old bloodworms are basically rotten bloodworms. Not a good idea to feed those.
Feed the bloodworms right away after being thawed, and clean any remnants after 3-4 hours tops. Otherwise they will rot.

allegoriest

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd also remove the bloodworms fast. They can't be good for him, and for you- they will smell terrible, and be a pain to remove. But... Where are they now? I'd feed them in a dish, maybe with water. Picking them out of the entire tank sounds just plain terrifying to do. Especially of its not a watery one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1