Illness/Sickness: How to preform a surgery on a t.marm [URGENT]

steOli

Reaction score
Country
England
Folks, I just checked my T. marm adult and it keeps getting worst. I got it offered from a friend that told me he purchased them for a low budget and those were probably WC animals here in the UK.

The animal has the tail broken in two only didn't fell apart cause a piece of muscle keeps it together. And haves 2 wounds. Not looking good. really really bad sadly. I have used hydrogen peroxide (dropping it in great quantities over her and it gets like soap in the wounds and lacerated tail. when doing this the poor animal started to get in panic and i was sad as **** to be watching all this :(:( It really pains me a lot. the broken part of tail is getting with weird liquids and fuzzy with fungus but some parts still good on another sight.

My question is if i shall end all this and cut it (this will get me nuts but i know its only for his sake) or leave it there, infected and not regenerating and probably get even worst. Problem is if i cut, 50% of the tail is gone and its going to look really bad. Also, after the inevitable knife touch how to treat that "meat" how to make it heal and get covered in skin or how to close the wounds!?!

Really needed some advice right here folks,
Regards

Steven

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't comment on whether or not to cut it, but I would see if you can find something else to treat the wounds. Hydrogen peroxide is not usually recommended anymore in the medical field after the first cleaning of wounds - its been shown that it also impairs healing and kills the new growing cells...

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but hopefully someone else with more experience responds...

Hello,

From the sounds of it, this animal badly needs to be seen by a vet. You should not be using hydrogen peroxide, and you should not be considering surgery on this animal! If necessary, it should be done properly with appropriate analgesics and anaesthetic, by a veterinary surgeon - please get him/her to a vet for appropriate treatment.

Hope you can get him/her sorted out.

Bruce.

Folks, I just checked my T. marm adult and it keeps getting worst. I got it offered from a friend that told me he purchased them for a low budget and those were probably WC animals here in the UK.

The animal has the tail broken in two only didn't fell apart cause a piece of muscle keeps it together. And haves 2 wounds. Not looking good. really really bad sadly. I have used hydrogen peroxide (dropping it in great quantities over her and it gets like soap in the wounds and lacerated tail. when doing this the poor animal started to get in panic and i was sad as **** to be watching all this :(:( It really pains me a lot. the broken part of tail is getting with weird liquids and fuzzy with fungus but some parts still good on another sight.

My question is if i shall end all this and cut it (this will get me nuts but i know its only for his sake) or leave it there, infected and not regenerating and probably get even worst. Problem is if i cut, 50% of the tail is gone and its going to look really bad. Also, after the inevitable knife touch how to treat that "meat" how to make it heal and get covered in skin or how to close the wounds!?!

Really needed some advice right here folks,
Regards

Steven

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back