Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Gender Question

Shygirl

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got my first two axolotls and I don't even know if they'd be alive for as long as they have been if it wasn't for all the helpful information I found on this forum so thank you :)

My axies have to be at least 8 inches and I'm just really curious about what their gender is and was hoping some of the more experienced people on here could tell me what they think. Biggest ones I've seen but being from Ontario it really doesn't say a lot because they're so rare here :)

Thank you for helping me solve this mystery.

Picture 1: Is Axolotl #1
Picture 2: Is Axolotl #2

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 820

Crysta

Reaction score
I agree, they seem to be females, do you have a picture from the 'birds eye view' angle? as pictures can lie having more of them is best to get a better picture.

This article will help you judge for yourself, as you can see better than us.

Shygirl

Reaction score
I definitely think they are the same gender. I did see that link awhile ago and I have a hard time seeing a huge difference between the two. One just looks slightly bigger than the other. If I ever see an adult male in person I'll probably have an easier time judging for myself in the future.

Here's the best bird eye pics I can get. Hard to do because of the plants.

Pic 1 is from Axolotl #2
Pic 2 is from Axolotl #1

Attachments

• axie bird eye.jpg
    axie bird eye.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 437
  • axie bird eye 2.jpg
    axie bird eye 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 455

dragonlady

Reaction score
I would guess females as well, however, some axolotls are late bloomers. Just because they have the dark tips, it doesn't mean they are necessarily showing you their true selves...For example, I bought a golden with dark tips, presented as a female (about 14 mo. old when I got her), rounded body, no lump. About 6 mo. later, she slimmed down and seemingly overnight there appeared the lump.

I can tell you that a male is pretty obvious in my experience, anyway. His lump is considerably larger and it will extend of the sides a little behind his legs. His body and tail are usually longer and more slender than a female as well.

Either way, you have 2 nice looking axies there.

Shygirl

Reaction score
They're really fun to have. They really seem to like each other and sleep on top of each other in a hole they dug out in the corner of their tank. I also got to see one of them yawn for the first time last night. Really cute :)

I have some normal pics of them in my profile where I'm not just trying to target certain "areas" with my camera lol for those who want to see.

So for now at least I will refer to them as females :) Thank you all for your time and help on this mystery.

melfly

Reaction score
I think they are too young to sex.

Mine didn't show as male til 9 inch and another at 19 months. (i do believe 19 months is the extreme!!)

Mel

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My one male was easily 18 months before I could firmly say he was male. And that was only after one night of his brothers' dropping spermatophores. I went to bed with a clean tank, 2 male axolotls, and 1 unknown; and I woke up with 50 spermatophores and definitely 3 male axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1