New Scotsman

Kris

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Awrite lads ;)
My names Kris & im from Haddington Scotland.

Im really new to the amphibian scene, I was keeping a PP hermit crab for a few years but sadly while on the holiday the crabsitter left the windows open while she was molting & the stress of that + cold killed her.

So.. i was left with a 30 gallon tank, then someone suggested frogs but the people im staying with at the moment have a "thing" about live food like crickets but not worms :s
Anyway after reading about (i think it was mostly from this site) Im definitely set on keeping some fire belly newts.

I reckon i should be ready in 2 weeks.. Once I've finished setting up the tank :), in that time hopefully you guys can help my confidence in keeping this animal for the first time.

Welcome to the forums Kris.

I would like to recommend that you take a look at other species. All Cynops orientalis that are available from shops are wild-caught and frequently in a very bad state of health. Many die before even arriving to europe, others in the shop....but all of them are stressed and susceptible.
As you can imagine that´s not exactly the ideal way to start, is it? Plus it´s just not fair on the poor animals that are taken from their habitat to be sold dirt cheap.

However, there are a lot of very apropriate species being bred in the UK. There are quite a few respectable breeders in this forum from there. Some ideal species for beginners would be Pleurodeles waltl, Crested newt complex (Triturus dobrogicus, T.karelinii, T.carnifex....), Cynops pyrrhogaster, C.cyanurus, Tylototriton verrucosus...
You can find all of those, captive bred, for very reasonable prices. That way you know you have healthy animals, already used to captivity, without damaging the wild populations.

Also, before you get any animal make sure you cycle the tank properly. Have a read:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Make sure you read as much as possible before getting any animal, really, read until your eyeballs hurt, then read some more. It´s the only way to be prepared to offer the best conditions. Cycling can take a month, so you have time xDD

Good luck!! And beware....caudates are damn addictive...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info ;D
Yeah its pretty cruel, they do the same with hermit crabs & force them into painted shells etc :(
I was hunting around on gumtree for a newt & the lassie i spoke to recommended this site for breeders :)

I'm going to cycle for a good while once iv put the 3D background in & planted the tank..
I was going to diy a background but im giving myself a break since i found a decent cheapy on ebay.. & i just spent a few days making a diy canister filter (low lph) so i have that to admire.

Question, where shall i thread about setting up my tank & show you guys my beer keg filter? haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back