Illness/Sickness: Red Eft Limb Problem

bdubz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have three red efts (the juvenile stage of eastern newts) in a terrarrium, all fairly young (about three months old, but I couldn't tell you exactly how old).

First of all, an eating issue with one of them that is not the subject of this post. Two of them have never had any health problems and have been growing a lot, the third one seems to dislike eating in front of me (or much at all, considering I've never seen it eat) and has thus not grown much at all. I usually feed them mini mealworms, although I've heard earthworms might be a better choice (I've also heard waxworms, so I bought some, but then I discovered that they're HUGE and even my big efts can barely eat them). Should I try anything other than earthworms?

The real issue right now, however, is with one of the bigger efts. Because they've been growing so much, they shed a lot. Two days ago, however, I noticed that while in the process of shedding, one of the eft's arm has become incredibly swollen, black (although this might be dirt catching in the shed skin), and immobile. When I first noticed this the arm just hung there without moving, but when I checked in on them last night it was stuck to his side. He also seems to be shedding once again even though he never finished shedding the first time. Is this a known health problem? I did some searching but couldn't find anything. I've also heard that newts can regrow limbs as long as conditions are good, but I'm afraid that this might be an infection that could cost him more than just his arm. I'll try to take pictures of him as soon as I can so I can share with you all.

Over the years, I've noticed frequent shedding problems with efts. Sometimes the skin will get stuck and hold one or more limbs stuck to the side of their body until they get it loose - sometimes it takes days. I don't have any idea why this happens - low humidity perhaps, but that's just a guess. It sounds like yours might have gotten so badly pinned that the limb lost its circulation.

You'll probably have to let nature take its course. If the skin is still stuck, you could try putting the newt on very wet towels and hope that the skin softens.

Thank you, I was really worried and panicking; the paper towel method at least got him unstuck from his side and while he's still not moving with all his limbs and it's still swollen, it has separated from his side.

Do you have any advice about the eft that's not eating? I've heard some are really shy, but it really shows that he's not eating with the size difference between him and the other efts.

Sorry for the double post, but the situation has deteriorated.

But first, some good news, the eft who was not eating has now taken a liking to earthworms (although, because of his small size, he has tried and failed to eat some larger pieces, so it takes some very fine cutting to feed him and I feel rather cruel to the worm), so hopefully he won't be a problem anymore.

On to the bad news. The eft who had limb problems, after looking like he was improving, has now gotten worse. The swollen limb is now detaching (although still hanging on by a thread) and is without a doubt causing him discomfort as, when I was trying to remove dirt and shed skin from it (which is what led to the discovery that he's losing the end of his arm), he freaked out. The part closest to his body appears to be moving a bit, but he is just carrying around an arm that is about to fall off. He also seems to be developing the same issue in his other arm. The rest of his body, however, has shed very well and his color is looking as good as ever. Should I do anything about this? Since you said it might be a problem with moisture I've taken to misting much more often as well as dropping the efts (all three of them, just in case) into the edge of their water bowl for a couple minutes, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Should I help him along in discarding his arm? He also seems to have lost interest in eating, and while at first I thought this might help him shed (and that he would regain his appetite when his arm was fine), it now seems like conditions for regrowing that arm will not be optimal if he's not eating.

Edit: I feel a little dumb saying arm over and over again considering efts/newts don't actually have arms as it were, but in this case I'm referring to their front legs, as in the ones closest to the head.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back