Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lazy Newts

markjw

Reaction score
I have a tank with filled with water a bit over half way. My newts sit in a pile on the foam hill, out of the water, almost never going in. They are eating, but seem content to sit and do nothing. They never swim. What am I doing wrong? The water temp is room temp. No heater. The filter is tremendous and the water is clear. :confused:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved this from the Pleurodeles section; they are ribbed newts.

Is the filter too strong perhaps? Ribbed newts are pond-type newts, they don't like flowing water.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I also second that the filter is too strong?

have you tested your water as well? (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate).

How long have you had the newts? Where did you get them from if they are newly aquired?

markjw

Reaction score
I bought them at LLLReptile.com. They never went in the water for long. With one exception, they seem to panic and work to keep their heads above water. They climb on the filter to get out and onto the sponge hill. They never put their heads under water. But they eat well and seem otherwise healthy.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I bet it´s the filter too, plus bad water quality.
How big is the aquairum and how much water is in it?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another possibility: if the supplier was keeping the newts terrestrial, it may take some time to re-adapt them to water. Is there a way to lower the water level in the tank?

When I need to adapt a terrestrial newt to water, I put it into a shallow (about 1 inch of water) tank with a few flat floating islands. The newts can sit on the islands, but they stay somewhat wet even when beached. The trick is to have enough islands that they can stay on land, but keep their skin wet. Usually within a few days they are acclimated to water; their skin is wetted and they become less intent upon staying on land. A newt that has been kept terrestrially will cling stubbornly to land until its skin adapts, and it will never adapt if it's not kept wet.

markjw

Reaction score
I took your advice and lowered the water from 8 inches to about 5. That seemed to make a difference. Thet were walking around in the water ti afternoon and stretching up to take air without much effort.

Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1