Illness/Sickness: Help and advice please.

phoenixtp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 5 yr old leucistic axy who has always been in good health,
He lives with a wild type and we have never had any problems,
but last night, my leucistic swam to the surface with a badly injured leg.

Closer inspection showed half his fronds have also disappeared.
It looks as if his tank mate has started eating him alive.

I have separated the two and put the injured one in a shallow, darkened tank to reduce stress while I work out how to help him.

Questions.

Can my axy survive without his fronds?
He literally has only one full size left, all others are reduced by two thirds, but he needs them to breathe doesn't he?

How long will they take to grow back if he does survive?

Is there a solution I can use to seal his leg to prevent infection whilst he heals?

Does anyone have any ideas why his tank mate has suddenly started chomping on him?

(they have adequate food, water is fine, I think the leucistic is male and the wild type female, but they have never attempted to mate as far as I know )

any help and advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
can my axy survive without his fronds?
he literally has only one full size left, all others are reduced by two thirds, but he needs them to breathe doesnt he?

Your axolotl will survive with what it has left.

how long will they take to grow back if he does survive?

This mainly depends on genetics and nutrition but on average it will take a few months.

is there a solution i can use to seal his leg to prevent infection whilst he heals?

Just keep it in cold, clean water and it should heal just fine.

does anyone have any ideas why his tank mate has suddenly started chomping on him?

There are so many possibilities that you may never know the reason.

Oh no poor thing! Dont worry about breathing axies breathe through their skin and lungs as well as their gills so it will be fine! Axies are well known for their healing and regenetive abilities everything should be back to normal in a few months!

Hope his missing parts grow back soon!

laters

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back