Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Read about floating axie but I still have some questions

Poseidon

Reaction score
Hi.
I read that placing the axolot in the fridge helps with floating problem but I have questions about what is the temperature that is expected on the fridge.

I also read that putting the axolot with very few water will also help, can I give him a massage on the stomach to expel the air? should the air be expelled by the mouth?

My water conditions are ok, I change 50% of water daily and use Holtfreter's solution at 40%.

Diet consist in live food raised by myself: daphnia, earth worms (Eisenia foetida) and recently mosquito larvae. The axolots is eating normaly.

As you can see in the photo there is an air bubble on the stomach and makes him stay in the surface by one side.

The tank has not substrate and has air pump that barely touches the surface of the water and keeps a very soft movement of the water mirror.

Temperature of water is around 18° (64F).

DSCN7353.jpg

melfly

Reaction score
Hi

I would probably just keep him as you are for now. Make sure he gets lots of food to try and get the air bubble out.
Fridging him at this age will slow down his appetite.
I wouldn't attempt massage as you may accidently injure him.

How long has he had the bubble?
Why do you use Holtfreter's solution?

Mel

Poseidon

Reaction score
has been like this for a weak more or less.

I use Holtfreter's solution as the breeder that sold me the axolotl uses it, to be honest I do not know what is the purpose of keeping water salt, I know that helps preventing disease but I didn't wanted to change the water until the axie will be bigger.

melfly

Reaction score
I think its used in soft water areas.

Maybe a short spell in the fridge would be ok. Say overnight. Temp should be about 5 degrees.

Mel

Poseidon

Reaction score
thank or your quick answer. I also found this on the www.axolotl.org web page.

"My axolotl is floating and cannot seem to get back to the bottom of the tank. What can I do?"
Often, some stress will lead to a small bacterial infection in the gut. This would lead to a gas build up, and the floating. It is possible that the axolotl swallowed a large amount of air into its digestive system too. Warm temperatures (over 20 °C / 68 °F) don't help. Anything over 25 °C / 77 °F is far too warm for axolotls - just in case you didn't know.

As to how to solve the problem, axolotls find it stressful when they can't touch the bottom. I suggest you lower the water level so that the axolotl is touching the bottom, but still submerged. The fact that it can touch the bottom should help to relieve the stress and hence help it to recover. If you keep it at temperatures over 20 °C / 68 °F it will probably make it harder for the axolotl's gut to keep up with any bacterial activity, so try and keep it cooler. As long as it eats, that's a good sign. Sometimes it is possible to massage the animal's abdomen to help it pass the gas, but it's hard to do without hurting and/or stressing the animal. It's safer to do what I've suggested and let the animal pass the gas on its own.

So I am going to reduce de water keep him fresh and keep feeding him.

I will let you know the results.

Regards
Rafael

melfly

Reaction score
Thats great.
Good luck and let us know how he goes!

Mel

Poseidon

Reaction score
Some told me that the bubbles of air are caused by over feeding and as the stomach does not have time to digest everything creates gases and a solution is putting him in the fridge as the cold air is lighter and could be expeled easily.

My question is if this theory is correct and cooling the axie is done with this purpose? and wonder if I can put ice around the tank to cold down the temperature instead of putting him on the fridge ( I am scared of doing this :()

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1