Snakes!

Hayden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hayden
I picked up my snakes today! All three are beautiful, two are on the skinny side, but we will fatten them up! Here's a picture of the one I'm keeping at home.

marshallsmom-albums-other-pets-picture12624-snake.jpg

I'll add the other pictures on Monday. Even my mom likes him!
As this is my first snake, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Aw, thanks! He's really cute. He likes to climb into your shirt and poke his head out the neck hole. :D

Is he a king snake?if it is feed it mice get a nice leaf substraight and a heat pad that gose under the tank don't use a heat rock.

Nope, he's a corn snake, actually.

Cool!! I bet she would have a different opinion if it was three feet or longer,hehehe...

Have you ever been bitten by a snake before??? Coach whips hurt!!!

I got bit by an 8 foot anaconda. It wasn't so bad. Hurt my pride more than anything: she bit me in front of a group to whom I was presenting. She bit me in the arm, and then like 2 minutes later lunged for my face and missed me by a hair.

Corn snakes are cute. I have ratsnakes (which are closely related to kingsnakes, milksnakes, and cornsnakes). They can be very active. If you have any specific questions, send me a message.

He's about four feet. :) She won't go near his little face, but she doesn't mind him.
I haven't been bitten by a snake, but that's about the only thing that hasn't bitten me...
Thanks Kaysie! I actually do have a question. What size tank would I need for two or three corn snakes? And are hognoses good pets?

Most people I know keep their corn snakes separate. Dawn (otterwoman) actually keeps and breeds them, and I'm sure she'd be happy to answer your questions too. That being said, I'm in the process of moving my 2 rat snakes to a 55gal, and I think they'll be much happier in that.

Hognoses are not 'beginner' snakes. They have a pretty specialized diet (toads), and if you get a wild one, it's hard to switch them to eating mice.

Thanks very much! That's interesting about the hognoses. I am definitely a beginner! :)

A good reason to keep your snakes in separate quarters is because it's easier to make sure they're all eating properly. Some corns get a little timid when they have to compete for food and don't eat. Others are too competitive and the snakes end up fighting over food. So, I keep mine in separate tanks. My four foot black snake is in a 35 gallon tank and that's about the right size for these active animals. My other two snakes are much smaller and one is in a 29 gal and the other in a 10 gallon. All of them accept frozen mice so they are easy to feed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back