Question: Outside pond to help cycle?

Callam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,
Just started cycling my tank a few days ago. i think its going ok all the reading are still at 0.

i was just wondering if it would be fine to add an object to my outside pond for bacteria to attach to and then to add it in to my tank a few days later? was hoping it could maybe help speed up the cycle process. ive had the pond for years now and all the fish in there seem to be healthy, its not particularly clean or anything though.

also is it normal for my water PH to be at 7.9? will it gradually lower itself or should i buy a PH lowering kit?

Personally, I'd be a bit leery of using anything from an outdoor pond...There are so many naturally occurring micro-organisms (parasites and other nasties) in a pond environment - I wouldn't want to risk introducing any of those things into my new tank.

If you have a friend with a tank or maybe even your local pet shop? They could give you some of their media or an ornament/plant, etc. to get you going...

You can add just a small pinch of fish flakes or something like that to get your cycle started. Read here - Cycling if you want more info.

I would not add anything to the tank to lower the pH. Axolotls can handle a wide range of pH so they can adjust to your natural levels. If you start using chemicals to alter the pH, you can do more harm than good as chemicals strip the water of its natural buffering capabilities. Not to mention you will most likely cause the pH to fluctuate as you try to get it adjusted during water changes - with axolotls in, this could prove very stressful.

ahh thank you very much. glad i asked now, i thought itd work fine from outside
yeh ill ask my local petshop if i can borrow an something to help
thanks for the advice

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back