How to create a Java Moss Wall

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Daz
Foreword: ok, I know across the net there are many tutorials, but we didn't have one here, and I like to document things as I do them. So hopefully this will help anybody who buys a kit and wants a first hand experience.

How to create a Java Moss Wall

65359_446450007556_509467556_5156104_5094237_n.jpg

1. You'll need Craft Mesh, 25 small zip ties 8 suction cups and as much Java moss as you can afford.

Take your craft mesh / window screen / moss wall kit and cut to size. For an Elite 60L I used a measurement of 23" width to 12" height.

39520_446450057556_509467556_5156105_930794_n.jpg

2. Tie 5 zip ties evenly spaced across the top to create a hinge.

39520_446450062556_509467556_5156106_8385620_n.jpg

3. Take you bag of damp Java Moss, this here is 2 £5 bags (expensive stuff)

39520_446450067556_509467556_5156107_836366_n.jpg

4. Spread your Java moss evenly across the bottom mesh.

39520_446450072556_509467556_5156108_5445285_n.jpg

5. Tie evenly around all edges with the zip ties. I used a 5x5 setup. This keeps all the moss firmly in place. Then affix all suction cups around the edges.

59593_446451312556_509467556_5156137_3733898_n.jpg

6. Carefully place your wall in the back of your aquarium and push hard down against the back for the suction cups to become fixed.

34691_446451077556_509467556_5156132_2428921_n.jpg

7. With the flash of the camera you can see how it is arranged, however this is not visible to the eye, you'll only see the mesh.

59658_446450162556_509467556_5156115_325765_n.jpg

8. Pop the hood back on and wait patiently.

Full coverage should be achieved after a few months.

59658_446450157556_509467556_5156114_3140526_n.jpg

9. Expect lots of attention from your critters / fish.

33686_446452237556_509467556_5156146_3185049_n.jpg

10. This is what the final product "should" look like once the moss has bedded in and started to spread.

(this is Xmas moss though, Java moss has a slightly different arrangement)

Good work Daz, makes it a lot easier for people to put them together with step by step instructions!!

Whose the cute wild in your tank?

That is fantastic - repped.

I just bought the white cloud i having yapping on about this week, and i also got some cherry shrimp. One of the shrip arrived berried, and several more are egg laden, so babies on the way very soon! my little moss rocks look pathetic compared to what that wall will look like :)

The new axie tank really needs a back ground, and the white cloud / shrimp tank will be perfect with this set up.

I am so making this!

Bren

Thank you for posting this, this is brilliant. I hope to achieve the same thing except java moss isn't readily available in pet shops where I live so I think I will try a crypt wall or some kind of grass.

Thanks again, this is awesome.

Great tutorial!!

For those of you with small axolotls (or newts) you may want to substitute the suction cups with adhesive velcro strips. This will prevent the animals from getting stuck behind the wall.

That is fantastic - repped.

I just bought the white cloud i having yapping on about this week, and i also got some cherry shrimp. One of the shrip arrived berried, and several more are egg laden, so babies on the way very soon! my little moss rocks look pathetic compared to what that wall will look like :)

The new axie tank really needs a back ground, and the white cloud / shrimp tank will be perfect with this set up.

I am so making this!

Great stuff! make sure you take plenty of pics, and keep a good log. Always interested to see how different environmental conditions effect things.

p.s. many thanks fot the rep :)

Thank you for posting this, this is brilliant. I hope to achieve the same thing except java moss isn't readily available in pet shops where I live so I think I will try a crypt wall or some kind of grass.

I was lucky enough to find some guy in the UK selling a few bags but it's readily available on Ebay sent from Malaysia.

For those of you with small axolotls (or newts) you may want to substitute the suction cups with adhesive velcro strips. This will prevent the animals from getting stuck behind the wall.

I was cautious of this, as you wouldn't want anything getting trapped behind however by cutting the backing exactly to size and making sure the suction cups are positioned at the extreme edges there is no way anything can get in behind.

The mesh is bendable yet rigid and so certainly no way any aquatic critter could bend it. I would be surprised if even a Red cherry shrimp could penetrate, let alone an axie.

However Velcro would certainly make removal for cleaning slightly easier and is a good idea.

I have however found at night my small Axie Barney has realised he basically now has his own climbing wall and is now consistently scaling it. He's doing no harm so I let him be.

Well if I couldn't increase the amount of floor space for him at least he now has a secondary area to walk around on, even if it is vertical.

Hiya Daz

Good guide.

Thats how i did mine. Except my moss was rather brown.
I have yet to see any growth....but hopefully i will at some point.

Please keep this thread updated with pics of the growth.

Mel

Thanks, that's certainly the plan.

I'm tempted to remove the backing every so often and spread the moss to redistribute to the areas not covered as it grow.

great tutorial, now i want to make one my self, might become my next project ;D

Thanks my man,

Believe it or not already signs of growth, many little stalks of moss poking out through the netting.

Amazing speed.

My Axie also loves climbing it, and also just generally swimming up to it and grabbing hold. The netting that is, even without masses of moss there.

H enjoys it so much it's probably worth while just adding the mesh to back for enjoyment :)

Last edited:
im gunna give this a go . just need to find out where to buy loads of java moss

where did you get your craft mesh? i really fancy having a go at one of these and I have some spare java moss right now just sitting in tubs

I got mine from the outside bit of a homebase / B&Q type store. It was sold as greenhouse mesh. They had several roles of mesh with different sizzed holes and was about a quid a metre. So I bought two metres.

wish I'd known that before spending £10 for a kit on ebay, doh!

Oh well the leftovers have made a decent separator so I suppose I got my money's worth.

Excellent!!!! I'm off to take middle sis to a job interview this afternoon and homebase is just down the road!!!!! thanks :D

Daz.. just browsing sleazebay for LED's for my new tank and just saw Fred and Barney on a sellers listing.. Those boys sure do get around :p

Daz.. just browsing sleazebay for LED's for my new tank and just saw Fred and Barney on a sellers listing.. Those boys sure do get around :p

haha that's excellent.

I emailed the guy a letter of thanks for the amazing work he did for me and included the video, it's great that he's using it.

If you are going for a similar set-up use this guy, he's ace. If you give me a mention he may even drop a few squids or even start giving us aquarium people some Axie discount :)

i was looking on ebay and saw there are TONS of people selling led's... noticed this guy cos he is right down the road from me... took a closer look at his listing, spotted a link, clicked it and instantly thought "I KNOW THAT AXIE!!!" LOL
Definately gonna use this guy tho, i feel happier using something that someone else i know can recommend. Also debating on getting him to make some for my sister for her guys for xmas

haha he is a really top chap.

I gave him grief on wanting everything exactly to my spec to the mm, even determined the length of flex, flex between tanks the lot.

From specs agreed to delivery was 2 days, and he had to make it and send it in that time.

To make it even better the original quote was £4 more than what he charged.

You'd think I'd only use 1 or 2 of the colours but truth is everyday I change it to keep it fun, yesterday my GF was rocking the pink. Fred was not amused but Barney loved it, maybe he is a Wilma after all.

Good tutorial, did this myself a couple of months ago. Mainly to hide the filter in my tank (not in use and cannot be removed). Its really growing through at the top of the tank, and the axies love climbing over it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back