Axie always hidding

zronclown

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi ! everyone

I have 2 axolotls at the moment and both are amount 9 months old.

I got my albino 3-4 weeks ago, at first she swims quite a lot in the tank but then these days she just hides in the 2 pots and never come out :( (apart from eating lol) why is that? just rarely occasionally i caught her walking around, however when i go closer to the tank or staring the tank ^^" she walks back into her hide :( that makes me feel like she is hiding from me. I am wondering if this is normal, u know just like there is different kind of people. Some are quiet Some are active Some are shy.:ha:

the other one is a wild type. super super active, swim a lot and interact with me a lot :D i only have her for a week though

Hi ! everyone

I have 2 axolotls at the moment and both are amount 9 months old.

I got my albino 3-4 weeks ago, at first she swims quite a lot in the tank but then these days she just hides in the 2 pots and never come out :( (apart from eating lol) why is that? just rarely occasionally i caught her walking around, however when i go closer to the tank or staring the tank ^^" she walks back into her hide :( that makes me feel like she is hiding from me. I am wondering if this is normal, u know just like there is different kind of people. Some are quiet Some are active Some are shy.:ha:

the other one is a wild type. super super active, swim a lot and interact with me a lot :D i only have her for a week though

Just like humans, Axolotls have unique personalities. Some are more shy than others.

That being said, it may be a much different story as it begins to associate you with food and feeding. One of mine was the same way at first, but now she'll come out and hang out right in front of me when she sees me coming. Also, they hate bright lights, if that's a factor.

Mine are the same. The male wild is out 90% of the time. Swimming and walking around or just chilling and hanging off the plants and things in their tank but the female Gold albino spends 99% of her day hiding behind their log and the back wall of the tank :rolleyes: I see her out VERY rarely. She's healthy and all the usual parameters are fine she just prefers to stay put back where no-one can see her :rolleyes: I even put an airstone back there to try and encourage her to move and find another spot or in one of the other hides and it worked for about a day now she just ignores the bubbles and sits there anyway :rofl:
As long as they are not stressed and they are eating I think our axies will be fine.

I'm half tempted to remove the log but it does look nice in the tank and I wouldn't want to stress her just so I can see her more often.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back