Colour changing LED lighting for my aquarium(s)

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Daz
So tonight my custom order arrived, new aquairum lighting for both my tanks.

I'd tried lamps, but they were too hot and bright, small LED strips either were too dull or not a good fit or I couldn't source two or different sizes with exactly the same colour.

Then I found a guy who would create custom electronics projects for me, and so I got him to create me a remote controlled setup which has two strips in serial, a 90cm and a 50cm.

It's great to have light in Fred's tank now, I can see all of the scenery, it's also cool for Fred and Barney to be able to see each other.

In reality the lighting is alot brighter but my cam is pretty poor quality so I don't think this came out too badly at all.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzoHNVfCBA0

The remote is 24 key and has buttons for all the colours, brightness and fades.

Both strips use RGB 5050 LED strips and they are very bright and colourful. They are water tight with shrinkwrap around connections.

As it's standard IR I'll be programming this into my Logitech Harmony one so I'll be able to change the tanks with the same remote as my TV. Fancy!

Last edited:
Very cool!!! I wonder if axies can see colors??

I doubt it, they can certainly see brightness though.

When I had a T8 moon light bulb in there, even semi shielded my axie would literally try and bury his head in the sand.

LED's don't seem to bother them though, even really bright ones.

The main thing is now Fred can see directly into the smaller tank at Barney, there must be enough visibility now.

Ironically Fred hides and stalks the smaller Barney and when Barney approaches runs away. I was worried about putting them together for Barny's sake, looks like it's Fred I should be worried about.

That looks awesome! I love the blue/pink colour. =]

Oh wow, that looks really cool :) and it would also be a great way to experiment with which colours bring out the axies in the tank the best. Buying a bunch of fluorescent tubes is way too expensive for that I'd imagine.
Just a small tip, if you find that the different shades of colors don't mix very well you might want to try to use a frost filter in front of the LEDs. I don't know if true RGB LEDs have been used of different LEDs for each color. It is really mainly applicable in the latter case.
Anyway, I might try this once I have a tank and some money to experiment with electronics a bit more :)

I want one! you lucky bugger with a cleaver friend you! I would make something similar but to be honest I just dont have the time and could never make something as slick as that! Very nice! Gomez and Cunningham are together now, no drama at all they just love sitting ontop of each other and following each other about I dont know what I got so worried about lol, hes still alot smaller than gomez but they certainly dont think of each other as food, just gotta feed em separately to avoid any potential accidents! Im sure from the point that fred and barney touch noses they will become inseparable, cant wait to see em together!

don't go saying things like that, I'll wanna mix em :)

They are showing a healthy interest at each other through the glass, and they arnt snapping but I'm still nervous, Barney is so small in comparison.

He's also so much more energetic, I'm afraid swimming around over Fred's head etc. will eventually piss him off.

As for the lighting, it is very good I must admit. Ironically the best colour I find is just plain old white but turned down a little. I've got some nice feeding videos which I'll upload in a min to their diary pages, the white light makes em much easier to see.

In the video it obviously looks darker than it is, the light really illuminates everything, just like the T8 I had in there, not just spot lighting like the old LEDs.

I'm going to carry out an experiment and switch the tank colour to red when I feed em. I'm not sure if they even understand colour but I plan to find out.

I'll feed from the same spot each time, with the red and hopefully I can condition them to walk to that spot when the light changes. :)

I'm going to carry out an experiment and switch the tank colour to red when I feed em. I'm not sure if they even understand colour but I plan to find out.

I'll feed from the same spot each time, with the red and hopefully I can condition them to walk to that spot when the light changes. :)

That sounds like a very interesting idea indeed! I'm looking forward to finding out if it works.

That is really cool ... What kind of power supply has it got? Is it one of those plugs which has a transformer built into it to step down, kind of like a larger version of a mobile phone charger? Or have you got mains going directly into the electronics?

As for the lighting, it is very good I must admit. Ironically the best colour I find is just plain old white but turned down a little.

Do you reckon the light is good enough for plants like elodea and java fern and moss?

I'm totally sold by this idea, I've been wondering about a bowl I've got with a rescued guppy fry which lives on a window ledge in our flat and is now getting too cold. With lighting like this I could put the bowl on a bookshelf and use it as a kind of mood light and keep the guppy healthy and happy too!

I'm so jealous of Fred and his 'top of the line' accomodation..

Wanna adopt me? ;)

That is really cool ... What kind of power supply has it got? Is it one of those plugs which has a transformer built into it to step down, kind of like a larger version of a mobile phone charger? Or have you got mains going directly into the electronics?

It has a transformer which steps it down to 12v which then plugs into a control box which serves the remote etc.

Do you reckon the light is good enough for plants like elodea and java fern and moss?
I don't think so, LED's don't emit UV and so wont help, however from what I read mosses need very little light so an open curtain during the day should suffice.

I'm so jealous of Fred and his 'top of the line' accomodation..

Wanna adopt me? ;)
Lol thank you, I'm a bit of a shopaholic, finding these new areas of interest only acts as a catalyst.

I managed to get some shots which show how balanced the lighting is.

This is on white.

SNV33420.jpg

Daz... looking to get some of these to, was wondering what size to get.. you got a 3 foot tank with the 90cm strip in? Would you recommend that size or would the smaller size still give off enough light?

to be honest I'd just measure the hood and get as long a strip as you can for the width.

More LEDs wont really give you more brightness, just more coverage.

Both of my strips cover both hoods entirely and brightness can be adjusted and so just go for the max!

I cant afford anything as snazzy as Fred and Barney's set-up but I'm gonna get some blue ones.
I love getting a new tank.. its like moving house and decorating - but without all the stress :D

Oh ok not to worry,

What size tank are the blues for?

If it's just a small tank I have a blue light strip not being used right now that you're welcome to.

Thanks for the offer but i think my tank will be too big.. i got a 3 foot. :(

Off to homebase now to look for some mesh for my wall.. you think they sell suction cups to?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back