Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Earthworm alive inside the axolotl!!

daremo

Reaction score
Hi guys!!

this is probably a very stupid question but I just fed my new little guy, he's about 8 cm a piece of an earthworm Lumbricus terrestris, it was a little piece without the head but I noticed these ones are very strong, they move a lot... anyway the little guy is loving them but when I fed him this part i saw him that he shrivelled or did some rapid movement and then I saw the earthworm moving inside him!!!!!!

after a while I didn't see it moving anymore... but is this normal?? I feed my two axies earthworms and I've never seen them moving inside the axies! it was funny and scary at the same time...

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, that's fine...Axolotls don't chew or kill their prey before eating it...so the prey is alive inside the Axolotl for a bit.

Skilly

Reaction score
Sucks to be that worm.....

lol

eatin' alive!!!!!!!!

I have wondered how long a worm actually stays alive inside an axie...
weird to think about... haha

daremo

Reaction score
not much... I checked a little while after I saw it moving and it wasn't moving anymore...

but what I just noticed, just now... I saw my axie twitching ... I haven't seen him doing that before, I am worried... can earthworms have anything that can make his gills itch?? I think he tried to scratch his gills and he was swimming weird, now he's swimming along the tank, he's a juvie about 8 cm, I guess swimming a lot is normal for a young axie...

melfly

Reaction score
They twitch while feeding. Like trying to swallow it.
It was probably just that it was a large peice and he was swallowing it.

Mine twitch like hell when feeding pellets, i imagine its because they are so hard and it takes a while for them to soften to swallow.

Mel

daremo

Reaction score
thanks!

he is swimming normally now...

when I give him pellets I always worry that he swallows before they soften enough with the water, but so far it's been ok...

lisordactyl

Reaction score
I love the face my Axie pulls when he's just got the worm in his mouth. He's like "must keep wiggly worm in my mouth" and really looks like he's concentrating :lol:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1