Fridged axie now has white flakes on his body

bumble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I fridged my axie 5 days ago due to not eating, floating issues and shrivelled gills. His gills are now looking good and he is not floating but over the last 2 days ive noticed white stuff on his body. Can anyone help me on what I should do next ie keep fridging salt or tea baths. I have done 2 very week salt baths but was unsure if its skin is shedding and if so would a salt bath be too harsh. Took aphoto but i can not find the camera cable to load onto this post

thats good that your axie is looking better and not floating anymore. If the white stuff looks like cotton wool then you should continue with the salt baths until it is all gone. If the skin looks like it is shredding then maybe a teabath would be best, that will help sooth the skin.
lea

Hi Bumble,

I'm glad your axie has stopped floating and his gills are looking better. Do you have a photo of your axolotl as his skin is currently? Flakey skin can often be a sign of a stressed axie and can have many causes... Keep an eye on him. I would not recommend salt baths if it does not look like cotton wool, this could worsen the flakey skin. If you can, post a photo of him.

If he gets any worse you can try a tea bath which will sooth his skin.
(1 teabag/10 liters or 10 quarts water). Black tea is best.

Best of luck

This is what he looks like now, His tip on his tail is curled, When giving tea bags how long should he stay in it and should i keep fridging

DSCF0146.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back