Question: What colour Lamp to use

axokyle

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Kyle
I am going to pop out now and finally get a light setup for my tank, but theres several choices in the shop,

I cant remember what they are exactly but theres Purple, Green White and such

What is the best for use on an Axolotls tank?

Thanks

I have just installed a colour changing setup.

White and blue are really the best colours in my opinion.

Cheers, I should mention i will be putting Lime green Sand in when it arrives, So i think ill just go for white for now, i can always change it and see what its like i guess with blue as i do like the sound of blue

Is there a specific colour that they prefer?

I use white LED(20W) lights during day and blue(8W) during night that gives a damp darkblue glow at night. They don't seem to mind brightness or color as long as it's LED lights

Cheers i got one from a local shop, its just a slightly bluey light that they also had set up on there fishtanks, My only concern atm is the starter unit is in the back of the lid, which can get quite hot.

I found that even a moderate lamp in a standard hooded tank can raise the temperate of the tank by several degrees within hours.

Not really ideal for a cold water critter.

If you have a custom hood or one with lots of airflow under it it may be ok, but for your average elite / juwel etc. tank, the enclosed hoods act as insulators.

As mentioned, my axies also hate the brightness of even the dullest lamps, my largest axie started trying to literally bury his head under the sand.

LED's seem to not bother them at all.

I'd seriously advise against lamps.

I still would suggest LED lights, they barely generate any heat, axies won't get bothered by them (atleast mine don't :p), they generate enought light to keep plants alive and makes the tank look great ;) and color is just a matter of opinion

cts-albums-my-axietank-setup-picture12775-my-light-fan-set-up.jpg

My setup with fans and lights, white LED-strips for daylight and the 2 big fans contain some blue LEDs to simulate moonlight during night :)

Last edited:
Blue has been proven to be a very relaxing colour for most animals, even us! As Daz said a hood will keep heat in and prevent evaporation (which cools the water) build a mesh lid they are perfect for axies very easy to do, heres mine it would have cost under £5 to make but I just raided my parents garage and found everything i needed! However with no hood and allowing the evaporation, my room is very humid so gonna need to ask for an aircon/dehumidifier for christmas i think! The water is staying nice and cool tho!

Laters

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back