Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloodworm inside my Axie's Gills?

iAxolotl

Reaction score
Today i was looking at my Axolotl named Mudkip and i looked at his gills and found one bloodworm (hopefully dead) in his gills it isn't really inside. (Bye gills i ment behind those fluffy things) Is it dangerous for my little Axie?

iAxolotl

Reaction score
The problem is. its pretty small and Mudkip can get scared really fast.

daremo

Reaction score
maybe you can try getting him into a plastic container, small enough so he can't escape and with a q-tip try to remove it

just try to put the container into the tank, and slowly guide the axie into it, close it, remove it...

I hope it goes well

iAxolotl

Reaction score
maybe you can try getting him into a plastic container, small enough so he can't escape and with a q-tip try to remove it

just try to put the container into the tank, and slowly guide the axie into it, close it, remove it...

I hope it goes well
I don't think he will go into that container.
Because most of the time hes in a cave thing and when hes outside i can see anything because i can't turn the lights on cuz he don't like the light i think.
And Mudkip will never go to the surface :(

daremo

Reaction score
Maybe you can remove the hiding for a while and check if the worm is still stuck there

Have you tried feeding him on the surface? I think it works pretty well so they get used to you and the ambient... I hang the earthworms there for the guys to come and catch them and they surely do...
they respond to movements and when the worm is twitching they notice that and go for them, when they get used to that you can move your hand over the tank and they will respond ;)

iAxolotl

Reaction score
Maybe you can remove the hiding for a while and check if the worm is still stuck there

Have you tried feeding him on the surface? I think it works pretty well so they get used to you and the ambient... I hang the earthworms there for the guys to come and catch them and they surely do...
they respond to movements and when the worm is twitching they notice that and go for them, when they get used to that you can move your hand over the tank and they will respond ;)
The worm was still stuck there. there is no way i can remove it. i think i shall just give up and sell him with the aquarium/tank

daremo

Reaction score
hahaha

nah, seriously...

I used to be very scared of "catching" my axie too, and she's a timid one too...

You can try with the container, removing the hideout, or with a net and transfer him to another container, with dechlorinated water, at the same temp of his tank

then you can examine him well (with a magnifier even!) and remove anything that may be stuck there

It's scary but don't worry, he'll be fine, just be very careful while "catching him", what I did the first time was getting him into a right about his size tupperware into the tank, closing it and removing it closed, when he was bigger I caught her with a net and transferred her to a bigger tupperware (being very careful with the net and using my hand to cover it while I took her out)

iAxolotl

Reaction score
hahaha

nah, seriously...

I used to be very scared of "catching" my axie too, and she's a timid one too...

You can try with the container, removing the hideout, or with a net and transfer him to another container, with dechlorinated water, at the same temp of his tank

then you can examine him well (with a magnifier even!) and remove anything that may be stuck there

It's scary but don't worry, he'll be fine, just be very careful while "catching him", what I did the first time was getting him into a right about his size tupperware into the tank, closing it and removing it closed, when he was bigger I caught her with a net and transferred her to a bigger tupperware (being very careful with the net and using my hand to cover it while I took her out)
Hes scared of the net too btw.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
My guess is the bloodworm won't hurt anything. Sometimes when fed earthworms or bloodworms the food goes in the mouth and out the gill. It will probably work its way out. No need to do anything unless their is some sort of a wound or infection.

daremo

Reaction score
yesterday I saw an earthworm twitch inside my little axie... and I've read about worms coming out of the gills!!

Btw probably all axies are afraid of the net, I would be too!!

maybe check later if it got out? I guess if it's annoying the axie he would try to remove it himself by scratching or rubbing against decorations...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1