Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Few problems with my Axie

iAxolotl

Reaction score
So i got my very first Axolotl monday but there are some problems.
His a juviline (I know i made a typo) but, he never goes to the surface for air.
He never go outside his cave expect at night, and doesn't swim very often.
Most of the time hes scared for almost everything. And he don't like my aquarium light. :(
I also have some problems with feeding because he almost never eats anything expect if i give if by a pincet ( or whatever it is called) and he will never go to the food. The shopowner said he likes bloodworms a lot.
Also ( i made already a thread for it) he has a bloodworm behind his gills.
I think there is seriously something wrong and i think he doesn't like me / i'm a bad axolotl owner :(

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Hey dude, relax.

You've just explained all of the traits of a regular axolotl.

firstly they don't have to go to the surface for air, the fact he doesn't means his gills are working.

They are nocturnal, and will be most active in the evening and night, but any times it's dark they may still come out.

If you're talking about a standard aquarium lamp, that's not going to work, you need something far duller. LED's don't seem to bother them.

Regarding food, they like movement, hence why bloodworms are a good choice for juvies. But even frozen will get eaten eventually.

As for bloodworm ont he gills, if it's not bothering him, don;t worry. He's soon shake it off when he notices it.

Hope that puts your mind at rest, you're doing fine.

iAxolotl

Reaction score
Hey dude, relax.

You've just explained all of the traits of a regular axolotl.

firstly they don't have to go to the surface for air, the fact he doesn't means his gills are working.

They are nocturnal, and will be most active in the evening and night, but any times it's dark they may still come out.

If you're talking about a standard aquarium lamp, that's not going to work, you need something far duller. LED's don't seem to bother them.

Regarding food, they like movement, hence why bloodworms are a good choice for juvies. But even frozen will get eaten eventually.

As for bloodworm ont he gills, if it's not bothering him, don;t worry. He's soon shake it off when he notices it.

Hope that puts your mind at rest, you're doing fine.
Ok, But wich kind of colour do i need for the LEDs then? And how much do they cost in euros?
And how do i put many bloodworms around the same spot easy? ( most of the time i'm removing the remaining bloodworms that scattered everywhere because of the pincet that isn't that good for grip.)

Last edited:

Shygirl

Reaction score
To help prevent the bloodworms from scattering around I just place them in a plastic cup. This way they know the food is there and it's all in one place for them to have their meal and although I'm still mastering the art of keeping food neatly in a cup, I find there's a lot less to clean up because it all relatively stays inside the cup.

I'm a new axie owner too so I get pretty nervous about whether I'm doing something wrong but I think you're doing a good job, and you're already going in the right direction because you're on these forums asking questions and voicing your concerns. There's so much info to find on here! Best of luck and congrats :)

daremo

Reaction score
I've seen some people use jars to put the bloodworms in, so they are in there and the axie learns to get inside to eat

they learn, believe me!!

I give them earthworms, it's clean and easy, and they learn to come to the surface for them

as for the lighting, if he doesn't like them why not turning them off? they don't need it...

I think you can try giving him earthworms, maybe release them just outside of his cave, as soon as he gets to know them he'll love them and will go out begging you for them :)

iAxolotl

Reaction score
I've seen some people use jars to put the bloodworms in, so they are in there and the axie learns to get inside to eat

they learn, believe me!!

I give them earthworms, it's clean and easy, and they learn to come to the surface for them

as for the lighting, if he doesn't like them why not turning them off? they don't need it...

I think you can try giving him earthworms, maybe release them just outside of his cave, as soon as he gets to know them he'll love them and will go out begging you for them :)
Thats a great idea. But it think Mudkip is a little bit too small/young for earthworms

daremo

Reaction score
give him a try ;)

I have an 8 cm axie and what I do is cut up a piece of a little earthworm, about 1-2 cm, he's grown already and looooooves the worms!!!

I have to admit is hard to hand feed such little pieces but as long as the axie gets to try them he'll love them and come for them, believe me ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1