Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unhealthy Looking Axolotl

tomo

Reaction score
My axolotl looks unhealthy. Its in a tank with another. They both have veiny tails and this one is getting white spots. The main thing that concerns me is their gills.

8de28ef0f9f5913a079442ca6743da4a4g.jpg

0eab4505c180fcce63946988889f6c454g.jpg

dazkeirle

Reaction score
The white spots look norml but the gills do not look great, any signs of fluffy cotton wool like fungus?

Also he looks very thin indeed, is he eating well?

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi there,

As Daz says the white spots are normal you have a golden albino and they do have white spots as markings, look at my photo albums and you will see Finley my golden albino and you will see he has the same markings as yours :happy:

As for the gills I am no expert but I do know that my leucistics's and wilds gills are lovely and flowing but my golden albinos have always been a bit more on the short and stumpy side of things.

Good luck

Last edited:

tomo

Reaction score
They used to eat tons, now I think they eat less, although they always have plenty of blackworms. Those are pretty much all they ever eat, im not sure what else to give them for variety at the moment.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
That animal is severely malnourished. Look at the other pics and compare the body weight of yours with the pictures of healthy animals. It needs to eat alot more than it is. The picture seems to show a number of worms on the bottom of the tank. If that's the case he's not choosing to eat enough. Have you tried earthworms? Mysis shrimp? Brine Shrimp? Blood worms? Pellets? There are lots of choices and this animal needs something different, more often or just more of whatever you have to offer.

tomo

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to buy pellets and daphnia, (I have previously fed them daphnia). The other axolotl that is not in the pictures looks thin as well, but not as bad. I'm not sure if the pellets will be small enough for them to eat, but I'm giving anything a try.

dazkeirle

Reaction score
In my opinion earthworms are the best option, chopped up to sizes which he can eat. He wont be able to resist.

Bloodworms are also good, just messy.

melfly

Reaction score
Can I ask what the temperature of your tank is?

Also ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings

Mel

tomo

Reaction score
I don't have the equipment to test nitrite or nitrate in the water, although pH I can get back to you on. I heard they eat crickets, so I found one small enough for it to eat but nothing has happened yet. Do you think fridging would help?

melfly

Reaction score
Crickets are not the best food. Earthworms or bloodworms would be best.

Do you know the temperature? How often do you do water changes? What size tank are they in?

Mel

P.s
Unless the temp is really high i wouldn't bother with fridging in this case.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1