My house is now a worm world!

mroli123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought some of you may enjoy a good laugh at my expense...I bought some worms from a well know internet auction site (word must of got around in the worm world because there seem to be zero worms in my garden!)

I have never had a vast amount of worms before and didn't really think much of it, I put them in a bucket filled with soil and some vegetable scraps put a lid over the top of the bucket and have been fine....until I woke up this morning, came down the stairs and in a half awake state realised something was stuck to my foot, turned the light on and it was a squashed worm, rubbed my eyes and woke up instantly to find worms absolutely everywhere in my house!! On the floor, up the walls they had gone from my conservatory through the kitchen into the living room! I have spent two and half hours hunting them all down and I am pretty sure that there are still rogue worm units about, I had to call off my search to get to work so I am waiting for the call from my girlfriend to ask why there are worms in our bed!

I think our house rabbit must of smelt out the vegetable scraps in the bucket and knocked the lid off to get to them, freeing the worms and they really went for it! I didn't think they could move very fast, or would even be able to get out of the bucket that easilly, but they sure out smarted me!

Lesson of the day : Never under estimate a worm!

PS None of them found their way into my axolotl tank!

Haha, thats awesome!!

I had the same thing happen to me but it wasn't a rabbit,I just never had a tight fitting lid:p

This is why my worms are in their home, in a box, in a shelf.

they have still managed to get out of vivs, clever little $%^$&$%s.

I have also had this, lid slightly off.

My mrs was not best pleased.

I have now bought a big container with a lid which you need hands to get off, also an electric fence, spot lights and an elephant gun

I have a wormbox in the fridge and somehow some of them managed to get out... Worms all over in the fridge, not the thing you really want....

Oh dear!
I have left the lid off also....3 found their way into a larvae tub?!! 2 were found later on wandering around.
Also my boyfriend tends to leave them in an open tub on top of our fire after rinsing them (fire is off) one got about a foot UP the wall!!! lol

Mel

Ive been keeping mine in the plastic box they come in and i always make sure the lid is on but their still disappearing, it was starting to weird me out but now it sounds normal heh. Weird thing is its happened twice now and ive never seen any anywhere in the house :/

I have a similar story...

I keep a worm bin at the nature center where I volunteer. It is kept indoors in the foyer area of the building. One day one of the teachers fed a whole bunch of watermelon rinds to the worms. The next day, the administrator (who is very squeemish about worms) opened the front door of the building and found worms ALL OVER the foyer.:eek: The watermelon had made the bedding too wet, and the worms had all made a break for it. I have still not been forgiven for this, although the worms are still there;)

all of these stories were hilarious!
the only worm story i have is when a frozen box of bloodworms fell out of the freezer and hit me in the face :)

you guys have any pic on how you stored the worm? like the box/bucket n stuff? i am hoping to give my axie worms too but i am still disgusted at them even by looking at it

you guys have any pic on how you stored the worm? like the box/bucket n stuff? i am hoping to give my axie worms too but i am still disgusted at them even by looking at it

If you are that disgusted by worms, I don't think you should try growing them. Worms are actually incredible (and completely harmless) creatures, but once a person has an aversion, it's pretty difficult to get them past that.

I have a photo of a very simple worm setup, it's the last photo on this page:
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

I do feed my axie frozen bloodworm, I am totally fine with it. I guess because they are small and they are dead, so they are not moving. My friend has arowana so he's willing to feed my axie worm when he come over. I am thinking maybe i'll experiment w worm myself at that time be4 deciding to get them myself. I know it's harmess but i guess it the texture of the worm tat worries me and also when it wiggle on my finger o_O

I know it's harmess but i guess it the texture of the worm tat worries me and also when it wiggle on my finger o_O

If it's the texture you don't like, perhaps you could use some sort of tong/forceps/tweezers to pick them up?
I keep my worms in a maggot box!

Fortunately the worms I've had seem to be well behaved, even when the lid isn't quite on :lol: Once I lost half a worm during transportation from the washing/cutting room (commonly known as the kitchen) to the axie room. I couldn't find the half anywhere!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back