Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: From all good to upsidedown in 24hrs

mbeaton69

Reaction score
Right now I am pretty grateful for this site. 8am one of my new Chinese FBN (1-1.5 inches) was chilling upside down :( I almost flushed him.. no movement except a tiny wiggle from his tail:(. Could there be hope? After reading for hours I gave him a salt bath and stuck him in the fridge on wet paper towels. His skin seems to be coming off so I polyed him up after bath. 6 hours later I checked on him, looks as though he peed the towel. So I go to change it and there is blood, just a little under him right between the arms. I see there is a wound there so more poly. He seems to be responding really well. At least he is responding to being lubed up with a q-tip. I mean 6 hours earlier I was ready to pronounce him dead. I will bathe him later on again. The questions I have are, do they eat while recovering in fridge? How long should I keep him in there? I guess I am getting ahead of myself. Lets see if he makes it through the night. Any tips or questions leave them hear thanks .
matt

Last edited by a moderator:

mbeaton69

Reaction score
its been a roller coaster for my little guy. Anyone have any ideas how long they will live in fridge without food? I think im gonna stop with the salt baths and try to get him antibiotics he has an open sore that leaves a tiny amount of blood on the paper towel, i feel so bad for him/her:cry:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Definitely halt the salt baths right now. It is a long shot but I would just apply Neosporin (anti-biotic ointment) to the wound twice daily for about a week to see if it helps. Your newt can easily go that amount of time without food.

mbeaton69

Reaction score
Thanks.
Neosporin is called Polysporin in Canada. Vitamin e, aloe and another antibiotic., for minor cuts and burns. The problem I am having is applying the cream on wet skin, with a q-tip is darn near impossible, especially when its cold. I have found drying him with paper towel then rubbing ointment with my finger is the only way it will stick. I am pretty sure the fungus is dead but hehas still got white patches. Will these get their "black" colour back over time?I am going try to post a video, when I apply more later on.
Thanks for responding because I was worried about him not eating. So if the sore heals , then take him out of fridge and try to feed him after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

mbeaton69

Reaction score
heres the video of my newt notice the sores? im pretty much noob so all i could figure out was to zip the 3g file

Attachments

• Sickguy.zip
    344.8 KB · Views: 99

mbeaton69

Reaction score
he did not make it went in the fridge thanks for the one who replied

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1