Question: Flies!!!

vampybabe

Reaction score
Country
England
HI
this might be a weird question but has anyone ever had little flies in their tanks?
I've just gone to do a water change like normal and saw a couple of tiny little worm like things wriggling around at the surface so i turkey bastered them out and then on closer inspection there's quite a few tiny flies on the surface of the water. haven't a clue what could be causing them and where they've come from. Nothing new has been introduced into the tank in weeks and im feeding them the same frozen bloodworm from the same shop as normal!
to be fair its freaked me out a bit!

if you feed bloodworms then it's probably baby mosquitos, which you lovingly raised accidentally.

Frozen bloodworms have been known to contain a live one here and there - it's happened to me.

They turn into non biting midges. they look rather like tiny mosquitos - minus their heads which don't have that 'stabby' bit.

it's possibly that a few flies could have found their way into your tank.

Lol!! ah... so im panicing for nothing. Cool :)
I think my guys might be eating them. Ah.. moomin will eat anything anyhow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back