Question: Getting Started (Have I missed anything?)

Lanky

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello Everyone.

My names Mike and have been reading a lot of the posts on here for about a month now and think I am just about ready to set up a tank and get it cycling in preparation to home an Axolotl.

Before I get started, I would just like to check a few things to make sure I'm not missing anything.

To begin with, I have got a Jewul Rekord 600 63 litre (13 UK Gallons) tank which measures 61cm x 31cm x 43cm (inc. Lid). The tank contains an integral Bioflow 280 pumpset, a heater (which i know i don't need) and a 15W T5 Daylight Tube (which I may switch for a "Moonlight" type tube or not use at all and install LEDs).

The filter unit comes with 4 different filter media. A white course filter, a black Charcoal filter, a green Nitrate removal filter and a blue fine filter.

My first question is whether or not the Charcoal filter is ok for use with Axolotls? I've not been able to find anything to say they are not (I may not have been looking in the right place), but I thought I'd just check.

At the weekend, I went out and purchased an API Freshwater Master Test Kit and some Interpet Bioactive Tapsafe. Is this the right water conditioner to use with Axolotls? The label says it adds Aloe Vera to the water and I have read (just today) that Aloe Vera is not recommended as this leaves a "Slimey" layer on everything.

I have also been able to download a report on the quality of the tap water for where I live and it shows that the pH is around the right level for Axolotls. I have attached a copy in case anyone may be able to see anything that may be a problem that I might have missed.

I think for now that is about it. I have some other questions, but I have already written quite a bit.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• water quality.pdf
    340.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Hi there,

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Your filter sounds fine and yes, charcoal is fine for use with axolotls. In case you didn't know, your tank will only be large enough for one so if you decide on a buddy later (they are very addictive :D), you will want to upgrade.

That was probably my post you were reading about the conditioner, and yes, that has been my experience - as well as many others...

You don't mention substrate or hides...For substrate, sand is the more popular choice. If you need more advice about this, just ask...Slate and bare bottom are other popular choices...Just stay away from gravel larger than 1mm and if you decide to go with large stones, keep in mine that lots of gunk can hide in between despite your best housekeeping efforts.You will need at least one hide for your axolotl to get away from the light.

Also, if you haven't already got one, you may want a turkey baster for spot cleaning...

You mentioned more questions, please ask. :D

Hi Dragonlady,

Yes I think it was your post I was reading. Your Avatar is pretty distinctive and fantastic looking.

For a substrate I was looking to use white sand (possibly the Caribsea Moonlight) and I have a turkey baster on my list of things to get along with something for use as a hide.

Does the hide need to be big enough to cover the whole Axolotl, or just big enough for it to hide it's head and upper body in with part of it's tail sticking out?

Another question is do Axolotl's like clambering over things? I was thinking of getting some large black pebbles (to contrast the sand) similar to these: Feng Shui Pebbles - Black - biOrb Shop

I've also been thinking about getting an air-stone and pump as I've read that this can help with keeping the tank cool and some people's Axolotl's like them. Is this normally the case (the axolotl's basking/riding the bubbles) or is this an exception as I have also seen that they like relatively calm waters?

Thanks.

Hi Lanky,

Osiris says thank you for the compliments! :D

Caribsea has some really nice products for both fresh and salt, just make sure you have the right one. Sand is a real pain to clean but looks really nice. Make sure to rinse, rinse, rinse! Takes forever...Also, make sure to keep the sand less than an inch deep because it can trap dangerous gases in air pockets if too deep.

Since your guy is still growing, yes, I'd make sure it's a bit oversized. PVC pipes are cheap hide possibilities and you can get creative about camouflage.

He won't mind the pebbles, just make sure they are larger than his head. You will also want to move these every so often in case of debris...

The air stone aids in evaporation, this aids the temp...I use small ones that you barely even know that are there until you are right on top of the tank so no, they really don't interfere with the water flow much. You can start it off on low and adjust as your guy gets used to it. The filter will be what really affects the water flow...

Most sources that I've come across so far say that it is better to have at least 2 hides per axolotl so they can pick which one to hide in. Most photo's that I've seen of the hides actually have the axolotl with the head facing the entrance so you might want to look into hides which are large enough. Usually ceramic pots and pipes are used for quick and dirty hides, although I've seen people camouflaging them with stones etc. You could also get some ornaments which allow your axolotl's to hide, make sure that there are no sharp edges on the inside and that they can't get stuck though!

Hi XeryusTC,

Thanks for the advice. I can get access to a bit of plastic pipe so I'll have a go at making a couple of hides out of that.

Thanks also for the tips Dragonlady.

I do have another question which I should have asked last night. I have read on here about people handfeeding the Axolotls and you mentioned about moving pebbles about I have them in there when I'm cleaning.

Before putting my hands into the water, obviously it's advisable to wash them before and afterwards, but is it ok just to use normal soap/hand wash or is there something you'd suggest/recommend? May seem simple/daft, but I do not want to spend weeks getting the tank set up and cycled if I manage to throw it all out of sync because of something so simple.

Lanky

Make sure whatever soap you use does not contain perfumes or lotion that could linger on the hands. Rinse thoroughly and you should be fine. :)

I just wanted to add... I originally had the same size juwel tank as you and it was fine when Juan was small, but she soon looked cramped in there and I upgraded to a 3 foot (she is just shy of a foot long) By the time you have a filter and a hide and a few plants it looks pretty full. You may want to upgrade at some point, depending on your axies size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back