Feeding D. magna???

Millybear

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hi everyone.

I was wondering if it is okay to feed daphnia magna to newly hatched axies???:eek:

Or will I have to start the bbs hatchery at the weekend before the eggs hatch.

I'm a newbie with eggs so I need your help.

Most D. magna will be too big, but if the magna culture is doing well there should be baby daphnia that would be perfect. The trick is to find a strainer of some kind that will separate the baby daphnia from the adult ones.

I wouldn't recommend trying to add a large number of mixed-size daphnia to the axie larvae. All the motion of a zillion too-large daphnia would be stressful.

to sift out the babies from the adult daph i grab a squirt of them with my baster and squirt it into a clean tub through a tea strainer. The strainer keeps the big ones and i just put them back. the smaller ones go through the tea strainer and i simply pour them through a hankie to rinse them off before feeding. Hope this helps.
Adult daph will look like monsters next to hatchlings but the baby daph is ok
tho from my experience, you will find bbs is easier even tho its more of an inconvenience to hatch out

If you do decide to go for bbs there is no need to hatch them ahead of the axolotls. The axies do not eat much the first 48 hours so there is time to get the shrimp hatched.

Thanks for the advice. The larvae have hatched and they are happily eating bbs. Have also fed them baby daphnia. They really enjoy their food at the moment and are growing well
;)

Good to hear everything is ok :)

It wont be long before they are eating adult daph. then onto bloodworms!

Can't believe how quick they are growing!! I'm on my third batch of brineshrimp LOL

Nice full red tummies and very active. I will have to separate the soon.:happy::happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back