Young Axolotl, how much should you feed them?

mroli123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two young axolotls I am not sure exactly how old they are, around 2.5" in length, I keep them in a tub and feed them frozen bloodworm, they love it and are always interested if I put more in the tub for them (I use tweasers to feed them worms one by one, moving them around a little sometimes to attract their attention)

But I am not sure exactly how often or much I should be feeding them, they always seem to be hungry and they know when I am around and come to the top of the water ready to get some food! But I can see inside of them that their stomachs are always pretty much full! Is their a chance if I keep feeding them I will over feed them and they will die? Or is it a case of if they are hungry just keep on feeding them?!

I am also worried that if I don't feed them as often as they seem to want to be they may turn on each other!

Anyone have any advice / experience?

cheers

Oli

I would feed them once a day. Axolotl are very good at begging, the general rule is that if the stomach width is bigger than its head then you are over feeding.

Ok thanks, I think I am just about on the limit!

Cheers

Oli

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back