Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How often to feed young axolotls?

mroli123

Reaction score
I have two young axolotls I am not sure exactly how old they are, around 2.5" in length, fully developed. I keep them in a tub and feed them frozen bloodworm, they love it and are always interested if I put more in the tub for them (I use tweasers to feed them worms one by one, moving them around a little sometimes to attract their attention)

But I am not sure exactly how often or much I should be feeding them, they always seem to be hungry and they know when I am around and come to the top of the water ready to get some food! But I can see inside of them that their stomachs are always pretty much full! Is their a chance if I keep feeding them I will over feed them and they will die? Or is it a case of if they are hungry just keep on feeding them?!

I am also worried that if I don't feed them as often as they seem to want to be they may turn on each other!

Anyone have any advice / experience?

Zale2101

Reaction score
I keep two axolotls of about the same size. My girlfriend and I feed them daily, a couple of bloodworms each. It is better to underfeed than overfeed, overfeeding can be harmful.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Feed them daily at that size. Remove any food that is left after 3-5 minutes.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
The concept of "overfeeding" is a misunderstood term when it comes to aquatic animals. The real reason that this is a problem is not that the animals eat too much, but, rather, that their environment becomes fouled by excess food (of feces) if the water is not properly maintained. Amphibians can consume large amounts of food and, likewise, adjust to a more sparse diet when times get tough. Look for a middle ground that keeps your animal looking healthy (I think plump is a nice look).

When you guy talk about feeding one or two bloodworms I must be thinking of something totally different. What I know of as bloodworms are so small that mine grew too large to be satisfied with one or two per meal by the time they were about 1/2 an inch long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!