Commando newt protesting against water?

yossarian

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
THE FACTS
I recently converted a fish tank into a newt tank. it has an external filter that i have flowing over rocks (a waterfall) into the water (there is little current so i have extended the suction pipe to consume water from the opposite end of the tank from the waterfall, is this enough to keep clean?), which is about 4 inches deep. i have three plants and some petshop bought wood. The land mass, I have constructed by suspending a perspex sheet over the water (supported by stones). I first covered this with sphagnum moss, gravel a little sand, some green moss from local forest and got some tiny little wall ferns. I first used soil to plant the ferns in a half cylinder of bark. The soil at first leaked into the pool and (maybe??) as a result, the newt climbed up the pipe and sat inside the external filter. I took this as a sign that the water was poor. I used Evian spring water with de-chlorination formula (standard trop fish stuff) but perhaps the soil contaminated it. Since that event i have rid the land mass of soil, gravel and sand but kept all the other elements. The water is again 6 bottles of evian.

THE PROBLEM
OK so at last i get to my problem. when i put the newt in the water it escapes to the land immediately. it hides now in one of the bark half cylinders under the fern roots. I understand that they like to find a hidey spot, he once hid in the water plants but since his escape to the filter ive had to do a prisoner check everyday. Is it maybe that because im always trying to locate him he notices and so finds somewhere else, the last place left being on the land under the ferns? or is it something with the water? i will buy him little crickets today but i would rather he would enter the water in order to eat bloodworms. HELP ME I DO NOT WANT HIM TO DIE, thanks aaaaaaaaaaargh

Sounds like the water quality is inadequate, plus if the animal is a recent purchase it will be very stressed, possibly ill and very likely, terrestrial.
In order to get it to go back to water you need EXCELLENT water quality. This involves a few things but basically:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Also check this:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly (I´m assuming this is the species you have?)

You need a minimum of 40 litres of water for good stability, well cycled, preferably heavily planted and with no filter (the plants, combined with the bacteria will work as a filter anyway, so you don´t need it -and that way there is no current-). You don´t really need a terrestrial area. A piece of floating cork bark is sufficient.
Remove left-over foods, don´t use gravel and have as much water as possible (remember, minimum of 40 litres, but the more the better). Try feeding it earthworms, and if it is a bit thin, waxworms.

Read as much as you can. There is a wealth of information around the forums and in the CC articles, so read until your eyes bleed xD

thanks for your help, I had read a few care sheets but this site is alot better. I went to the botanical gardens and 'borrowed' some duckweed and the other weed from their pond, I told the security that it was life or death. I have gotten rid of the filter as I understand that quiet is important and there is enough plant matter in there to start the biological filtration process ( I put my ear in the tank and the noise of filter must be unbearable for a middle of nowhere newt). I will add some items from my fish tank that have bacteria on them to assist. Evian water is 7.2 PH which is 0.4 above ideal but ok I think. My only problem now is the dead duckweed leaves litter the floor and i don't want to stress him by cleaning already. should I regardless? thanks again

It sounds like you need to do a partial water change right away. Do you have a siphon? Suck out the dead duckweed and whatever water comes with it. Replace with clean water. Test the water for ammonia (before doing the partial water change!), since dead plant material can generate ammonia.

Using bottled water is probably unnecessary, unless there is something seriously wrong with your tap water. In the long run, the expense and hassle of lugging home bottles of water may lead to not doing enough partial water changes.

I read over your problem quickly, and I don't see that you mentioned the species of newt... can you tell us what it is?

I read over your problem quickly, and I don't see that you mentioned the species of newt... can you tell us what it is?

its a cynops orientalis *(spelling???) anyway i think its a chinese firebelly, the petshop tag said oriental but it has smooth skin.

thanks jennewt for your help, ill use the syphon. I shall try my water testing strips and I know what you mean about the bottled water, ill change with treated tap water, scottish water is close to bottled anyway, 25% per week. ok thanks for the help.

C. orientalis is a stillwater species, so removing the filter was the right call.

If this is indeed a newly acquired animal, then the advice from Azhael and Jen are spot on. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back