Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

4 gills

ClaudeFish

Reaction score
After posting this in the wrong place twice, here is my new axo (claude), four gills, not seen any similar, is he a freak or is it that its a regrowth?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCF4803.jpg
    DSCF4803.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 319

dragonlady

Reaction score
It looks to be just some sort of genetic mutation, nothing to worry about...just something extra to make him unique. :D

I would, however, be concerned about those rocks...they look to be the same size as his head or a little smaller...they could prove to be a swallowing hazard especially as he gets older/larger...

In the immediate, they may prove to be a bit of a housekeeping nightmare for you...;) These type of rocks hold lots of gunk in the gaps and despite your best efforts, there will still be loads of gunk down in them...I had something similar...I was shocked when I took them out! I now have sand which I like much, much better...

ClaudeFish

Reaction score
Typical of me to unwittingly pick a mutant i'll post more picks as the other fourth grows ( hopefully it will it would be nice if they match ) and i kno the gravels not relay ideal at min but am currently awaiting sand and ornamental rocks. Any other care tips are much appreciated and if any one has a mutant a pick would be good too !

crazyferret

Reaction score
Hi

He's very sweet :happy:
One of mine young wild type has a funny arm/hand its like he is waving like the queen at you, sometimes he gets it caught in his gills, but it doesn't bother him, i guess to him its normal bless him (his leg grow in that way, its not from being bitten)

diho

Reaction score
Wow, rly cool! :D That rly is a unique axie ! And maybe it also helps him, cause he can get more oxygen now? XD

XeryusTC

Reaction score
It might have several causes: it could be that he is just a mutant; he might have lost a gill due to injury once and the base got split in two; or bacteria might have moved some of the cells that grow into the gill leading to two being grown. The latter sometimes happens to wild frogs, they can have up to 8 legs sometimes IIRC.

ClaudeFish

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers guys ! this place is good for info and cheers xeryus any articles etc would also be appreciated too if anyone can get em

mickey1975

Reaction score
He is so cute, does he/she have a name?

(Steph i'm loving your little melanoid in your pic very beauitful)

sorry just seen his name claude sweet

Crysta

Reaction score
Typical of me to unwittingly pick a mutant i'll post more picks as the other fourth grows ( hopefully it will it would be nice if they match )

it's unlikely another will grow, unless there's exactly the same type intervention which caused the other extra one :)

he's/she's cute ^^

ClaudeFish

Reaction score
yea i dont think it will grow either casue the other side is more of a stump , but i can live in hope ill keep posting as he grows !
and thanks for all the nice comments guys ill be sure to tell Claude !:D

Morrison

Reaction score
I've seen axies with double legs and 7 toes but this is just something new to me. Doesn't mean I don't like it... I DO like it :D It makes an adorable axie.

billywhizz

Reaction score
I've seen axies with double legs and 7 toes but this is just something new to me. Doesn't mean I don't like it... I DO like it :D It makes an adorable axie.

haha yeah mine has 5 toes and 6 on the other leg, 4 each on the front legs, they do regenerate so not uncommon i guess

Morrison

Reaction score
My axie has a foot and there's a toe growing on top of another toe :D
Those little imperfections make them cute and unique :D

Attachments

• axietoe.jpg
    axietoe.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 204
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1