Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axie????

firesalamander

Reaction score
Hi, i JUST got two axies today in the mail, I put them in thier tank that they arent moving much. One just sits in the corner and the other moves a little, but not much either. Is this normal? :confused:

ted22

Reaction score
If you just turned up at a strangers house in a bag and got put in a glass box how would you feel lol maybe abit scared or confused? Im sure they are fine, it may take a couple of weeks for them to settle in it certainly doesnt sound like they are sick it sound like normal axie behaviour to me! are you new to axolotls? if you havnt already you should read all the axolotl info on this site that you can as there is alot of valuable information!

Just to get you started if you havnt read up, do not use gravel or stones under 2in, sand is best! and for 2 axies your tank should be 3ft long minimum if thats all in check the rest is just day to day or routine stuff like partial water changes, feeding, spot cleaning, cleaning filter etc. any questions please ask, if you follow the advice from all the lovely people on here you wont put a foot wrong!

Take it easy!

Ed

firesalamander

Reaction score
haha thank you! im going to post pics later. I have very course sand for substrate. And a rather large hang-on-the-tank filter that lets me control the water flow (it is turned all the way down) it is a 30 gallon long. I also have 12 small shrimp to keep things tidy. :proud:

firesalamander

Reaction score
Oh! The water temp is also at around 64. And i have a small light. aaannd ahh! a few minnows as well.

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Sounds like a perfect setup, just make sure you have plenty of hiding spots.

Pics would be nice :)

ted22

Reaction score
Why are there minnows in the tank? ?? Im pretty sure they would be for the axies to eat, I have minnows guppies and shrimp for the same reason, they are all midnight snacks!

If they are there for any other reason i would love to know why, coz they wont last long lol!

and as Eric said you must quarantine the fish in a separate tank for a minimum of 30days to avoid spreading disease and parasites that fish from shops are notorious for! (which im guessing you have not done, this could prove to be a fatal error lets hope you are lucky this time!)

Dont be feeding them just fish theyre are not great but they can be a good source of essential nutrients like calcium that alot of other foods are lacking (thats if your axie can catch em!) as you have probably read earth worms are the best, variety is always a good thing tho!

firesalamander

Reaction score
Hi, caught the minnows in a stream that is out at my land in the country. They has been in there for around two weeks to help get the ecosystem set up. Now they are axie food. I also do feed my axies worms. And I put some ghost shrimp in the tank yesterday (so far about 8 have dissapeared)

firesalamander

Reaction score
I just came home from school and one of my axie is sitting in the corner, and his face isn't smooth like it was yesterday. It looks bumpy. It's strange. What could be wrong?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You HAVE to quarantine animals before putting them in with your Axolotls, especially wild caught things like minnows. You don't know what contaminants and other possible harmful things are in the water you took the fish from. Please be more careful in the future.

As for your Axolotl's condition, a picture would be helpful.

firesalamander

Reaction score
I'll definitely do that in the future! I took the fish out because I saw one nip at that same axolotls gills! I was VERY upset with myself.

As for my axolotl. I can't take a picture right now. He's in his cave and I don't want to stress him out by disturbing him

bmp1976

Reaction score
How are they doing? Are they eating? Hopefully if you get the Minnows out it will solve the problem. Minnows nip at thier gills they may cary parasites. They look fine in the pics you posted so I hope it's the minnows. If they are still eating then they are likely fine and just adjusting.

firesalamander

Reaction score
Hey! sorry for being slow to reply. They are eating ravenously and doing great! They are moving around nicely! Making themselves at home :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!