Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Saying hi on behalf of Axl and Moko, and a bit of advice required

AndySheff

Reaction score
Hi!

I've recently acquired a leucistic and a "wild" axolotl of about 2-3 months old, and have found this forum no end of use in researching how best to look after them - so thanks!

If anyone's up for giving me a bit of advice, I've got a couple of questions as an axolotl newbie:

They've only been in their tank for a couple of days, but the water already looks kinda dirty on top and smells a bit rank. I've had the filter running low and through a spray bar so as not to stress them, but have turned it up in case it wasn't powerful enough to do anything. Should I change some of the water already?

While my "wild" one, Axl, is happily swimming around in the daytime, the leucistic, Moko, just sits on the bottom virtually unmoving. They've been like that since I got them, so just wanted to check that's personality not a bad sign of anything.

Their tank's 50cm x 45 x 35 (and I know I'll need a bigger one before too long), just rocks and a couple of hiding places in there.

Anyway - hi and thanks for any advice!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!