Should I take it out?

lisordactyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lisa
Yesterday I got some groovy new fake plants for my Cliffords tank! They're the cool rubbery fake coral you can get. He seems to enjoy most of them, but there's one he seems to attack or maybe play with! I'm not sure whether he thinks it's food? It's really stretchy and rubbery so I don't think he'd be able to rip it or anything.

I've taken it out for now as I'm going away for 2 days so I can't keep an eye on it, but do you think it'd be OK to put it back in? Will he learn that it's not edible?

Sorry if this sounds really petty and stupid, I'm still an axie n00b and I just want the best for him :D

Are you sure he cant swallow it? If he cant, or he cant swallow any part of it I'd say its fine.

Im not sure if he'd somehow be able to eventually gnaw through a bit, or something? It's very stretchy and pretty big; as it is I think it'd be very unlikey to be swallowed!

Do you think there's a possibility he was just playing with it? He was sitting on it happily earlier!

Monitor the situation and then decide. :happy: Maybe better to take it out before you go away though if not just for your own peace of mind. There's nothing to stop you putting it back in once you get back home.

Nice tank setup (just looked at your gallery).

I actually have some of the same plants as you and mine do the same thing. Mine are now a little bigger than yours but occasionally still snap at the plants. Normally it's when I'm feeding them and they are sitting on the plant and it gets moved, they seem to have a 'eat first ask questions later' attitude to anything that moves near them!

But mine have never had any problem with the plants ripping so I think yours should be fine :) They do start realising that it's not food..

Do you mean like the one in my picture? I have quite a lot of them in the axolotl tank, the axolotls seem to love them, i've had them in there for a while, the plants their selves are very strong, and can't exactly be ripped apart so easily, I still have no signs of damage on them.

Your plants are probably moving about enough for you axie to think 'FOOD' but it's perfectly same as far as I'm concerned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back