Axolotl build questions

darksolace66

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey! I'm building a tank for a gfp leucistic axie (if i can find one!) and have never kept one so i had some questions. I have a tiger salamander and another vivarium with tree frogs, so I'm no stranger to the care and difficulties of a build. I was wondering how small of gravel can be used, do they need/do better with moonlight, how important are airstones for the axies, and how they fair with aquatic plants? I need to anticipate these things prior to my build. thanks guys.

Jamie

One of the things people tend to jump down your throat about is your substrate. Keeping your Axolotls on a substrate that they can ingest is problematic if the size of your substrate doesn't allow for it to be expelled in regular waste. I'd use sand. Someone at an Aquarium store recently suggested just some big frags of rock that weren't too sharp.

Gravel is almost always a bad choice.

That being said, in sand, it is difficult to grow many aquatic plants. I have several of those marimo moss balls, and they're working out very well. Basically, they're just big algae balls. It's entertaining to see axolotls run or lay on top of them. In general, I wouldn't worry about your axolotls with most plants.

I do not use an air stone in my tank. The gaseous exchange of my spray bar is pretty high. For awhile, I used a lower flow power head to add a little oxygen to the tank, but it proved to be somewhat unnecessary.

Hope this helps.

I have a tiger salamander and another vivarium with tree frogs, so I'm no stranger to the care and difficulties of a build.

Umm...MOST tree frogs require warmer temperatures than what Tiger Salamanders require...so perhaps you may be experienced with "builds", but perhaps not so experienced with appropriate animal care. What type of tree frog is it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back