NJ and CA axolotls (Please quit yanking my chain)

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I'm constantly getting requests to ship axolotls to NJ and Ca. I average a handful of requests for New Jersey and California every month. Are their that many scofflaws? Are people just yanking my chain to see if I will ship them? Ambystomids are illegal in NJ and Ca without a permit. It is near impossible for a hobbyist to get the permit.

I'm always amazed at how totally oblivious people are to the laws that regulate just about everything but especially pets. I'm sure they think "What could possibly happen." Then, I get reminded how these same individuals are the first ones to intentionally dump unwanted animals into the environment for who knows what reason. Others think that flushing dead or dieing animals down the toilet/drain is an acceptable way of disposing of them.

This doesn't even take into account the number of animals that manage somehow to escape into the wild even from dedicated hobbyists doing their best to avoid such mishaps.

Or, maybe it's just that these people are so eager to own the high quality critters you sell that they're willing to take the chance. I am constantly impressed by how nice the animals are that I have raised from the batch of eggs you sent me - including the one that survived a long, hot summer in my very small outdoor pond where the temps soared over 85 degrees F before I abandoned all hope and stopped checking. This one, to my surprise and great delight, was the one GFP leucistic that I didn't have among the group that I painstakingly maintained in proper quarters indoors.

Is it only New Jersey and California that axololts are illegal in? I've found info on them being illegal in California, but I can't seem to find anything that says they are illegal in New Jersey other than a couple posts on this site.

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

i think you guys realy are taking this too seriously, not every freakin hobbyist is going to dump there axolotls in the wild some people actualy want to take care of them,
you make it like were bad people im still looking for eggs or youngins and i live in california and will keep looking till i have one.

I don't know, somehow I thought that state laws were serious; ignoring them is part of what gets us federal laws...

i think you guys realy are taking this too seriously, not every freakin hobbyist is going to dump there axolotls in the wild some people actualy want to take care of them,
you make it like were bad people im still looking for eggs or youngins and i live in california and will keep looking till i have one.

It doesn't really matter what you plan to do with them. It's the law. You should consider keeping something that is legal to have in your state. It's not responsible for you to break the law and advocate someone else breaking it too to supply you.

It's people with a blatant disregard for the law that ruins the hobby for those of us who are law-abiding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back