Question: Green fungus or pigment?

hilgrav

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hilary
My wild type axolotl, Bruiser, seems to have some sort of green coloring on his face and a little bit seems to be peppered on the frilly part of his gills. He's still super active and eating like a banshee and his personality hasn't changed at all. I'm not sure if there is such thing as a green colored fungus or if this is just a natural pigment for black colored wild types. Any help on this would be great! My other golden is just fine as well, very healthy.

Water conditions on tests come up perfect. If a picture is needed I'll get one up but maybe you know what I'm talking about :eek:

Also, if I'm a little concerned will a precautionary salt bath treatment harm him if nothing is wrong?

Actually I'm not sure, I only paid $10 for him...maybe the breeder didn't know... I'll be checking on that asap

If you can get a black light..shine it on him...see if he glows.
Definitely no GFP here, but here is a pic, maybe you can tell me if this is norm

33737_10100373689270524_2337084_67767069_4859863_n.jpg

You can see the greenish tint on his gills, face, and in the frill also, kind of more brownish in this picture, maybe i'm just overly concerned :)

I'd go along with the "overly concerned" assessment.

I figured lol, still learning :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back