Illness/Sickness: Fungus/Shedding

AxolotlTwins

Reaction score
Country
England
Sian - Hi, My axolotl Yukari has a cotton wooley fungus on his gills and i was wondering whether to give him either a tea bath or a salt bath?? What one do you reckon i should give him?
My water parameters are - Ammonia = 1.0ppm, Nitrites = 2.0ppm, Nitrates = 40ppm and PH 7.6 / 7.7. Temperature - 18c. Im doing a 20% water change daily to help keep these down. Yukari is 5 1/2 " long and he eats bloodworm, earthworm, tubifex worm, brine shrimp & daphina & artemia. He also has a tank mate. I have included photos.
Thanks

Attachments

• axies 002.jpg
    axies 002.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 250
  • axies 003.jpg
    axies 003.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 248
  • axies 004.jpg
    axies 004.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 240
Fran - hi again i'm back about both my Axotlots again ( Daiki & Roka) i'm still a little concerned on Daiki's gills as they still have the white dusting on them and his frilly bits seem to be not as fluffy as before. i have tried to get much clearer photos this time but it's the best i can get at the moment. He is 5 " and still has a very good appetite & still his usual self.

As for Roka i have noticed he has some sort of white flaky stuff near his gills i don't know if this is shedding or a fungus it seems to float with his gills like a little white/clear blanket, he's never had this before. He is about 3 1/2 " and is the same as Daiki still loves his food & his usual self.
Both Axolotl's are fed well, water parameters are :
Ammonia - 0.50ppm
Nitrite - 2.0ppm
Nitrate - 80ppm
PH - 7.8
Temp - 17c
Daily water changes 20 %
have included pictures thanks x

Attachments

• axies 005.jpg
    axies 005.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 210
  • axies 011.jpg
    axies 011.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 210
I would suggest a 50% water change now as those readings are dangerously high but not on a daily basis. I would also suggest a really, really good vacuuming as I think you have some leftover food/wastes lurking around as well.

At their size, I would lean more towards feeding them earthworm and bloodworm. The other stuff is really too small now and won't provide them much in the way of nutrition. I think you are definitely overfeeding them honestly and this is what could have your tank params so off.

If you are seeing something white and fluffy, yes, this is fungus and will need to treated with a salt bath.

Sian - Hey again. I feed my axolotls in a feeding bowl and not in their tank as it makes alot of mess. Ok i will start to feed them just bloodworm and earthworm. Thank You i shall give yukari a salt bath and see how it goes. I vaccum up the waste in the tank about everyday and im still doing a 20% water change daily. Thank you for your help xx

Hi there,

Hope your little one is feeling better soon!

You may want to move some ornaments around too to make sure no gunk is caught underneath.

I'm sorry but I forgot to ask if you are using a dechlorinator?

Sian - Hi again, Yeah i like to give it a good clean, i move all the ornaments and swill them out sometimes, yes i use dechlorinator, its the tetra safe one. Im going tomorrow to the pet store to buy some marine salt for yukari and then i shall give him a salt bath. Thanks xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back