FYI: Documentairy about axie's (remembrance)

diho

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I saw that someone else already posted about this some time ago, but since newer members may not have seen that post I will do it again :p
Some months ago there was a documentairy about axolotl's @ discovery channel and national geographic channel.
It really was interesting, so for those who haven't seen it, here is the link to the video:
sience discovery, documentairy

grtz Diho

thanks a lot for posting this :)

cheers that was cool :happy:

I kept missing the entire episode on Animal Planet... and tried to look for it online... But then, one day, magic did exist! I saw it on TV right when I turned it on!
It was an interesting episode but pretty sad to see how bad axies are doing :(

hmm, a real wild Axolotl being caught.

Shorts, t-shirts, sunglasses and not a mountain in sight. Nobody in that boat appeared to be worried about how cold that water supposedly is :rolleyes:

I love that axolotls are gaining more attention as they are not doing so well in
their natural habitat.
But did you see the way they caught that poor axie? They could've killed it when
the fisherman was wringing the net. What's that? A tilapia?
Covered in sludge? Eeew..
That place wasn't always like that.
And now, don't get on my back for what you're about to read,
but leave it up to the Mexico to eff it up.
Their politics and laws leave all the important things to ruin.
Nature? Forget about it. Most of Mexico's riches come from nature,
but no law is ever enforced if it's puting more money in their politician's pocket.
So let's embrace our Aztec little monsters because we love em to death,
can't say the same about where they originated.

... I AM Mexican by the way.

I let out an audible, high pitched AHHHH, having some kind of horrible flashback to being a small child and getting stuck in my sheets.

Recently, I was watching TV with my mother on a health channel, and suddenly, a little pink axolotl popped up. She was screaming IT LOOKS LIKE THAT TERRIFYING EEL THING. It went into their regenerative-ness, and the making of Pixie Dust, and how it works on humans. It was by the BBC I think, and the axolotls that are being held hostage at BAMC. ...Then it went on to really really strange things like pig hearts and whatnot. But the important part was the axolotls and trying to make us axolotlike. I don't remember what it was called, nor can I find it.
...Even more sad, I used to live RIGHT by BAMC. At least, I don't think they would have let me in. It never occured to me that they were hiding the axolotls for science. She didn't know either, and she works with the same patients.

It's really sad that axolotls are dying off in the wild, and its probably even harder since their wild isn't very... wild anymore. I mean, its really lucky that they do so well in captivity. They're not exactly the same, but, its alot better than other species have going for them.

And they sorta managed to save xoloitzcuintles. So... maybe there still just might possibly be a chance. I mean, weren't there only a really tiny number of them left, and they managed to breed them back into being a kind of dog? (Unless I'm totally confusing this with something else.) But they more than likely are alot more concerned with other things right now in Mexico.

Ye, rly sad to see that the axolotl is dying out in wild, one more ( and probably the best) reason to keep our axie's in captivity as happy and healthy as can be.
@Xochitl, yes it was a really rude way to catch a axolotl. But I guess maybe this is/was the only was to let ppl know how hard it is to find a axolotl in its own habitat! Which means the axolotl is really dying out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back