Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Encourage breeding?

Morrison

Reaction score
I have two adult axies (they're about 2 years old and like 25 cm) and I would really like to breed them... But the problem is... they don't want to and they don't seem interested in each other.

I heard about helping them by cooling the water or make it a bit darker in the room to make them think it's winter time. Does it really help because keeping my curtains closed during the day for about 3 weeks didn't make them change in behaviour (offtopic: my male axie is yawning, lol, big hole!)

Are there other things I can try? I hear splashing sounds in the middle of the night the last few days, but when I turn on the light to see what's happening I see it's one of the axies and the other one is totally on the other side of the tank being... uninterested...

Can I stimulate them somehow to breed and is there any way to make them interested in each other?

bayhicoach

Reaction score
The cooler water, longer dark periods idea is a good one. Also, have you tried separating them? Maybe this would be a good time to fridge the male or find a way to reduce the temperature of the water to below 60 degrees F (do all three). Then, provide lots of food as the water temp returns to normal and the time the lights go on is increased.

Morrison

Reaction score
I will try that male fridging thing. (I don't have other ways to separate him, I don't have extra tanks left and cooling the water with other things just won't help, so I guess fridging is an option)

When I fridge the male is there something I can do for the females? (Lowering water levels?? I've once read that but that doesn't really sound logical to me somehow)

(Oh and how long should I fridge mister Lotl?)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would fridge the female. Males are usually much easier to coax into breeding (this seems true for every species, lol). The female is the one who really needs the cycling. Put her in the fridge for a couple of weeks, at least. Then bring her out and feed her well and reintroduce her to the male. Breeding should commense quickly.

Morrison

Reaction score
Thanks.

I also had a question about that... Is it true that the whole breeding process thingy starts with the female? (Like pheromones or somehing?) So that it will stimulate the male.
(Meaning that fridging a female would be better in this case. Correct me if I'm wrong)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Breeding behaviour is triggered independently in both sexes. It´s an hormonal thing. However, the pressence of a female, particularly of a conditioned one, will result in the male displaying breeding activity (but he was ready to breed before that hapened, obviously).
The pheromones are used to entice the female to follow the male and pick up the spermatophore, they have nothing to do with the female´s hability to breed.

MaddogJones

Reaction score
You sure they're different sexes? Sounds trivial but I've found sexing them can be tricky.

Morrison

Reaction score
How long should I fridge her? (I miss her already):eek:

Derek

Reaction score
I would fridge the female. Males are usually much easier to coax into breeding (this seems true for every species, lol). The female is the one who really needs the cycling. Put her in the fridge for a couple of weeks, at least. Then bring her out and feed her well and reintroduce her to the male. Breeding should commense quickly.

Morrison

Reaction score
Sorry...., I'm just a stupid brat who can't read probably....:(
I should be kicked for that....

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No need to be discouraging. We all overlook things from time to time.

What do you plan to do with the offspring? It's important to plan ahead! You could get 500 eggs. That's a lot of tiny mouths to feed.

Morrison

Reaction score
I would love to have baby axies :D I know bunch of friends who want axies, they've seen mine and they're started to get interested in them too. Also selling some, keeping a few.

I even have in mind where to keep everything :eek: And where to buy everything from.

XeryusTC

Reaction score
Well, if you do succeed then I might be able to take some of your hands. Just don't get them before I have a tank set up and running ;)

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
hi i know thisis an old post but i was wondering if you methods worked because i also are trying to encorage the breeding , i dont really like the thought of putting him in the fridge but im just going to keep them apart for about 2 weeks so see what happens :p

Morrison

Reaction score
Still no breeding axies. I saw eggs a few days ago. But just 16 and unfertlized. I wonder if Xotl is the problem, I don't see any spermatophores anymore. Maybe he can't produce them? Don't know if that's possible.

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
Still no breeding axies. I saw eggs a few days ago. But just 16 and unfertlized. I wonder if Xotl is the problem, I don't see any spermatophores anymore. Maybe he can't produce them? Don't know if that's possible.

hmm i think my male axolotl is just to lazy to court her lol maybe thats the same for yours?? he is about 5 years old but he doesnt swim around or anything :p bless him

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1