How much current is too much?

firesalamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dylan
Hi, I originally had a huge "hang on the tank" filer whose water current i turned all the way down. But my axolotls gills were still VERY stressed because of current (their gills were facing very far forward) so to solve this. I got two smaller "hang on the tank" filers and put them at opposite sides. Then, to slow the current. I put some wool inside the filter tube to limit how much water the filter could intake. It slowed the current pretty well. But the axolotls gills are still curled (i did this about three hours ago) Which leads me to ask "how much current is too much??" :confused:

Thanks,
Dylan

The typical rule of thumb is that if the current is enough that the plants sway, it's too much.

You can block the waterfall with an artificial vine - like a reptile vine. Fairly inexpensive and doesn't look too bad. It just looks like, well, a vine hanging down in the tank.

You can also fill the tank more so that the water's edge is at the bottom lip of the filter, this helps a great deal as well.

A third method is to use an empty water/soda bottle with the ends trimmed off and a slit down the side. The slitted side is slipped over the waterfall so that the flow is out of the open ends of the bottle. See the original thread by JCLee HERE.

Thank you! The filter at the moment isn't swaying any plants (mabie because my plants are too small to be affected by current) hmmm. anyways.. I can see the air bubbles from the filter go all the way down to the bottom of the tank. They dont go very fast. But its with enough force to do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back