A Couple of Cycling Questions

Middu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started cycling my 40 gallon tank in preparation for future axolotls on September 30th. I know that the bacteria colonies take 4-6 weeks to grow, and I've been doing regular water testing to monitor the tank's progress. Every now and then, I'll add a pinch of food to the water, but the ammonia level in my tank has stayed a consistent 0.25ppm. Is this normal when starting out? I was under the impression that ammonia levels would rise rapidly from what I've read.

Also, I plan on attending a reptile/amphibian show next week, and was wondering whether or not I should pick up any axolotls before my tank has finished cycling. Would introducing into the tank them crash any progress made by the bacteria? I would rather not expose them to ammonia, but I was set on getting them if the opportunity presents itself. If push comes to shove, I suppose I could always get the contact information of any breeders I might encounter for a later purchase.

Cycling is a pain as you are discovering...What kind of filter are you using? How often have you been adding the pinch of food? Check this out, it may be helpful to you...Cycling

You can definitely continue the cycle with the axies in - just be vigilant about the water testing as you want to be prepared when the spike hits.

Depending on where you are attending this show...axolotls may or may not be available. Unfortunately, caudates don't have a very strong showing (if any are present at all!) at reptile shows...nonetheless, I hope you enjoy the show and good luck in your quest! :D

We'll be here, ready to help you through any problem or answer whatever question you may have...

Thank you for your advice and encouragement! The show is Repticon, which will be coming to Orlando. I've looked into previous cons, and they have been there before. It seems that there are several members on this forum from Florida, so I'm hoping I get lucky. Axolotls or not, it will definitely be an experience.

That cycling link you posted is the one that I have been following. At first, I only added enough frozen brine shrimp to "cover a dime" as the article suggests. Since it wasn't much of an ammonia increase, I recently decided to gradually add a little more. The ammonia has stayed consistent, and I won't add any more if it isn't necessary. The article suggests that only a small amount is necessary, so I guess I'll just have to exercise patience.

Also, I'm using an Aqueon QuietFlow 30, which is a hang on the back filter. In order to lessen the current, I've placed a fake plant so that it partially obstructs the outflow.

Repticon?! Oh wow, now I'm jealous! :D I attended IAD/Mars in MD last month and have pics in a profile album if you are curious...

I hope you do find some axolotls there! They should definitely help your cycle along (I find it easier to cycle with animals in, but as I previously stated, just be diligent about keeping the parameters in check) Please post pics once you have yours! :D

I didn't ask but hopefully, you have some hides already for them. They don't like light and the hides help them be less stressed - in case you didn't know that. ;)

Oh yes! I have two hides for them already.

I've done lots of research on them beforehand, with most of the information pulled from this website.

Unfortunately, I now realize that I have made a major blunder in substrate choice. I don't know if I had a temporary case of illiteracy when I went to the pet store three weeks ago, or ifwas just too excited to care, but I have come to realize that I have put Aragamax reef sand into a freshwater aquarium. I feel like an absolute ninny now, but I need to figure out how to remedy this without disrupting the tank too much.

I guess it's best to make these mistakes now rather than later. :(

Well, it is definitely a good thing you discovered this now! This could certainly explain why your tank was not progressing with the cycling. I really don't know how you could remove all of this without completely breaking down the tank.

I would say to just do it. Don't think about it...:D However, do whatever you can to keep the filter running somewhere so you at least have that.

There are several bright sides to the discovery of this now rather than later so definitely be happy that you found this out now.

Ouch. It looks like I'm going to have to do some cycling with the axies after all. Like you've said, daily water changes are going to be a necessity in order to keep after the water parameters. It's amazing how one little detail can throw everything off so easily.

The funny thing is, this dawned upon me after seeing that post asking about construction sand. I figured I would direct the poster to the substrate article and check out my own sand. I wasn't too happy after that.

Again, I have to thank you for your advice and courteousness! I'll guess I'll give an update once I have this mess sorted out and have been to Repticon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back