Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick jabba again i despair pls help :(

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ok it has always been a dream of mine to get axies and I love my 3 to bits BUT I am not having much luck with them and am beginning to feel quite deflated & defeated by this :(

All 3 have been in the cold conservatory for a few weeks now after a small episode of fungus on the gills and 2 of them had cloudy eyes, they were treated for this and it all cleared up but I kept them out there due to the temperature of the tank which I was struggling with and was at 23 most days!

So since then I have got a fan that is working for me and temp is between 18 - 20, I also did a big water change from when they had the fungus and have added in a big almond leaf so was excited to put my guys back in there tank on Saturday but I have just checked Jabba out and not inly is he stressed (his gills are forward) but he also has the fungus fur back on his gills. Am I just unlucky or what could it be and why is it happening??

I clean out daily poop, they get fed 90% of the time on fresh earthworms and occasionally have blood worms.

Jabba was stressed in the conservatory as he didnt appear to be too happy about the 100% water change a day which you obviously have to do.

Any help is much appreciated as I love my axies but am beginning to feel that I am doomed with them as with the water temp needing the fan on just about all day to keep it at 18 as our house is hot and the fungus issues what is an axie owner to do :(

Here are a few piccies apologies but yet again I cannot get the proper link off my album to load these properly dont understand why I can only view some piccies in my albums :(

http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...ojo-finley-jabba-picture12864-181010-016.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...ojo-finley-jabba-picture12863-181010-007.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...ojo-finley-jabba-picture12862-181010-006.html

daremo

Reaction score
Hey Zoe!
Don't despair

Here's my two cents:

Don't get them out of their tank, do salt baths to get rid of the fungus but put him back in his tank so he doesn't get stressed
In my experience warm water isn't that bad (that is about 21-22 in summer, but probably even 24 won't harm them)

Also for the pictures you can use something like ImageCoast - The Best Image Hosting on the Web , upload the pics there and then use the link to post here ;)

To be honest, even in winter my temp goes as cold as 19 and the axies aren't bothered by that at all, I keep them with a/c in summer but most people don't, they keep them at room temp and they are fine, probably they got used to already, it could be worse to remove them from their habitat that keeping them cool...

How are their eyes?

Last edited by a moderator:

zoezakella

Reaction score
hey zoe!

don't despair

here's my two cents:

don't get them out of their tank, do salt baths to get rid of the fungus but put him back in his tank so he doesn't get stressed
in my experience warm water isn't that bad (that is about 21-22 in summer, but probably even 24 won't harm them)

also for the pictures you can use something like ImageCoast - The Best Image Hosting on the Web , upload the pics there and then use the link to post here ;)

to be honest, even in winter my temp goes as cold as 19 and the axies aren't bothered by that at all, I keep them with a/c in summer but most people don't, they keep them at room temp and they are fine, probably they got used to already, it could be worse to remove them from their habitat that keeping them cool...

how are their eyes?

Heh Daremo,

Thanks for that :) Mojo & Finley dont seem to get stressed but Jabba bless him hates it and cant believe fungus is back so soon again want to know why??

Thanks for image coast will have a look at that have never had any probs before, uploaded the pics to my albums in my profile and then took the links and pasted onto the thread and that worked fine but now half ther time when i click on a photo in my album it takes me straight to caudata's home page is very annoying :(

Eyes are fine thanks is just this furry fungus on Jabba's gills.

Zoe :happy:

daremo

Reaction score
maybe it's the fungus stressing him and not the conservatory or temperature...

Give him a few salt baths to get rid of it, then maybe put him alone in his tank with the leaves in it?

Is the water already colored by the tannins?

zoezakella

Reaction score
was a very mild fungus that went after 2 salt baths so cant believe it is back so quickly after being clear for 2 weeks out in the conservatory. he is also flicking his gills a lot :(

just managed to get some better pics of it & no tannins are not releasing from what i can see but only have 1 massive leaf in my massive tank so not sure if thats enough.

zoezakella-albums-mojo-finley-jabba-picture12865t-181010-025.jpg

zoezakella-albums-mojo-finley-jabba-picture12866t-181010-024.jpg

zoezakella-albums-mojo-finley-jabba-picture12865t-181010-025.jpg

http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...ojo-finley-jabba-picture12865t-181010-025.jpg

http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...ojo-finley-jabba-picture12866-181010-024.html

daremo

Reaction score
Add another leaf, I actually added a whole one into a small tank (50x40x20) and the water is quite yellow, the PH however tested 7.5 and the little axie's toes seem much better!!

You should see the water coloured like ambar-yellowish, I think they recommend 1 big leaf each 50 Litres

When my axie had the reddish toes problems he would get fungus, then cleared them with salt baths and get them again...

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks for that will pop another in then.

Am more concerned as to how the fungus has come back, what causes the fungus in the first place?? :confused:

Also looks like Mojo still has a tiny bit of white on his eye?

Why are my axies so complicated, should have stuck to my fish & apple snails :D

daremo

Reaction score
haha I think all organisms are complicated in their own way
and don't worry, yours aren't the only ones complicated.... mine are too !!

I think the fungus spores are already in every ambient, but being stressed or weak for whatever (almost impossible to detect) reason makes an organism more vulnerable... the same applies for us humans with any disease, bacteria and virus are eveywhere, but not everyone gets sick...

I think salt bathing and the almond leaf, cool temperatures, etc will prevent the axies from catching the fungus (that I think it's impossible - or next to - get rid of completely...)

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks for all you time, help and trouble today Daremo appreciate your help & glad I am not the only one am beginning to doubt my looking after skills, how is it my 2 kids are fine and I struggle with 3 amphibians lol :D

lea

Reaction score
hi zoe
If it makes you feel better, I have a axie(cookie) and she keeps getting fungus as well. I dont know why it just happens.
lea

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks Lea that gives me more peace of mind appreciate it, you always feel like your doing something wrong heh :) thanks again x

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Even keepers who've had their axolotls a long time occasionally get fungus (like me).

zoezakella

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie, nice of you to say that.

Sadly not only does jabba have fungus he now has his cloudy eyes back which appeared today after his first salt bath yesterday.

Now what to do :( He is stressed, his gills are constantly forward, 1 is partially bent, and he is flicking them and he has cloudy eyes & fungus :(

Poor Jabba................. other 2 are fine

Thanks all for your help. Zoe

daremo

Reaction score
ohh
Are you having him in a container with clean water? or did you already added the almond leaf where he is?

Could it be the salt bath that is making his eyes cloudy? Is he eating?
Normally he is together with the other two in the same tank?

zoezakella

Reaction score
they were in clean water but as suggested have been having salt baths for the fungus then popped back in the tank. There are 2 big almond leaves in the tank.

Today now Mojo has fungus only a tiny bit and his eyes also have like a cotton wool growth on them.

Am thinking rehoming is the only option I have I just dont understand this and its getting me down, I just dont know what to do for the best anymore.

have contacted a local vet and am waiting to hear back from him as to see if he has any experience with axies so fingers crossed!

daremo

Reaction score
ufff

Then maybe re-homing will be the best...
Maybe change plants (if you have)...

I hope the vet has some clue about it and she solves it for good!!

good luck with that and let us know how it goes

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1