Question: Construction sand?

daremo

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi

Sorry for so many questions...

I am planning on upgrading my tank and searching for suitable sand, what I can get is very fine gravel (1.5 or 2 mm) or construction sand that I was told its suitable, here for construction silica sand is used (apparently)

Would that be good sand for an axie tank? why don't you use construction and prefer child's play? is it different?
i was told the sand used for construction in buenos aires comes from the Uruguay river... and for what I've read is silica based... if I wash it would it be safe for using?

In the US, often construction sand is limestone based and therefore not suitable. It may be different elsewhere in the world. Most of the reasoning behind using child's play sand is that it's probably more uniform/regulated because it's for human use.

ohh I see...
I guess the one we use here would be suitable then since it's silica based... all I need is to make sure its very very clean, rinse it for hours and carefully remove any particle that looks suspicious...

Id be extremely warey of construction sand it may be silica based but you really have no idea what is in it (things that may effect water ph level or leech certain chemicals into the water not necessarily just dirt), Its says everywhere online not to use construction sand so I really wouldnt, I dont know of one person on here that uses it either. Why dont you just visit a fish/aquarium shop they all sell bags of sand? if none in stock im sure they can order you some! Failing that children's play sand is often used, just wash it thoroughly first (needs to be cleaned first because alot of play sand is treated with fungicides to make it "child safe" and is full of dirt and dust)! A quick copy and paste from fishlore.com "Construction sand should be avoided at all costs. It is in no way suitable for any aquarium." Theres your answer I guess! I might be right in thinking that pool filter sand is also commonly used as a substrate but I dont even know what it is so i'll let someone else comment on that one!

Last edited:
okies, the problem is that I am in Buenos Aires, Argentina... and in the aquariums they don't sell sand, I guess I can ask for pool's sand but for what I have read it's the same as construction sand... which supposedly comes from the rivers around...

another option is fine gravel, of about 1.5 to 2 mm...

Well if you are 100% sure the sand is silica based and you absolutely have no other choice... if you really really have to use it I would - as you suggest, rinse and rinse and rinse. I would also spread the dry sand fairly thinly over a sheet and pass a strong magnet through it to pull out ferric metals which might be present in it.

Have you considered alternatives to sand? A few people have managed to get slate tiles and have used that to layer the base of their tanks. If you can use that and use aquarium sealant to 'fill' the gaps you have a nice tank bottom which is incredibly easy to clean.

I can always use a bare bottom as I am using now, but I think some substrate looks better...

or use fine gravel, but I'm unsure of it's safety for axies...

If the gravel is larger than 1 mm, I'd be scared to use it. Even if it looks small enough to pass okay, I'd be concerned about sharp edges.

Based on sand in the US, I also feel a little worried about the construction sand, but would think the pool sand would be a better choice. Here, construction sand is usually very coarse and used to mix concrete. Pool sand is more like beach sand, it is very fine in comparison - usually even finer than play sand. However, here, both can sometimes contain metals - if you choose to use either, I would use a strong magnet on the sand to make sure it doesn't have any. This may not be the case in Argentina, but I like to be overly cautious when it comes to my tanks.

Another option is maybe finding the sand online, although I have no idea if the shipping would be too outrageous or not.

Slate or tile does look very nice and sounds very simple to maintain. I am considering something like this for one of my projects down the line...

I think I can search for pool sand..
I am also trying to be very cautious, I don't want to do any harm to my little friends...

About tiles, it sounds nice except for the glue to fix them... I'm scared of doing that, I think that a bare bottom would work better in that case...

Do you get the sand at a supermarket or order online?

Oh no, no glue gets used. Silicone is used - the same stuff that is used to seal aquariums and axolotl safe. ;)

I usually find my sand at a home improvement store - where they sell all things needed to build or repair all parts of a house. They also sell accessories for around the outside too, such as children's play sand. I don't order sand online but know of others who have...Tahitian moon sand is beautiful and mostly available online - no I don't use that either...I chose the cheap way out. Too many tanks! :D

I have 1mm gravel in my axie tank. The axies seem to like it and it looks good.
Remember to post some pictures of your finished tank
lea

and what's in "children's play sand" different as in regular construction sand?

I will post pics when I have it, I want it to look good and be a great home for the axies ... but it has to be safe for them, that's why I need to find out what's suitable and good for them...

Children's play sand is safe for your child (or axolotl ;) ) to play in as it is actually sand - silica based sand. Make sure that the sand is at least pre-rinsed to have removed some of the impurities.

Construction sand/building grade sand is not held to the same tests that children's play sand is. It may or may not actually be real sand. It could have a sand base but mixed with bits of clay, limestone, soil, metals, and/or other unidentified minerals. It may not have one actual grain of silica sand in it...It is used in foundations, in cement mixing - it is a filler. The actual contents are not as important as it is not intended to ever potentially be put in your child's mouth...Get this stuff wet and it becomes mud, that is what it is meant to do...

Hope that makes it a little more clear for you...Sludgemonkey could break it all down for you exactly!

I'm glad you are doing your research. Better to be safe than sorry, most definitely.

I think I'll go for tiles.... I am unsure of the sand used here so I guess it's better to leave it out

what should I look for? regular bathroom's floor or wall's tiles, is that right?? and the silicone used for tanks is what I use to cover the spaces between tiles and tiles and tank?

that sounds good :)

Now I have to decide how to move the axies, since the two tanks are in the place where I'll place the bigger thank...

Slate tiles are good or terracotta tiles. I wouldnt use any other type of tile because of the possibility of unwanted or toxic substances leaching out. And for the sealant make sure you get 100% silicon sealant or look for special aquarium sealant (which will be overpriced 100% silicon sealant).

thanks!

I think I will go for either slate tiles or bare bottom, I don't want to take any risk with the axies using unknown materials

I think I will go for either slate tiles or bare bottom, I don't want to take any risk with the axies using unknown materials

Good call buddy, better being safe than sorry! Slate tiles can look really nice (especialy if your axie is luestic or albino they will show up nicely!) and is very easy to keep clean, post up some pics when you have it all sorted so we can admire your handy work, and axie lol!

Ed

hehe I will!!

What concerns me about the slate tiles is how heavy the whole thing will be...
considering I am planning on 1.7 long by 30 wide that makes a good 150-200 kg of weight...

You can see in the 1st picture that the wood where the tanks are standing is not the whole of the wall where it all stands, so I have to put some supplement in there just in case, that's why I worry about the weight too....

here's the space I have (sorry for the mess that you can see, it's been in "provisional state" for quite a while... that's why I want to change everything to 1 nice looking tank!!)
mg0073.jpg

mg0075.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back