Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do i need a bigger tank??

Jadey

Reaction score
Okk so the tank i'm looking at getting is 44cm long, 20cm wide & 38cm tall. I only want 1 Axolotl, and at the moment he's only a baby, about 4cm long. Will this be to small for him when he grows a bit bigger? The people at the petshop said it'll be ok because they can live in confined spaces, but from what i've researched, they need more space. So i'd rather spend the money now on a bigger tank then have to replace it later. Thanks :happy::happy::happy:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Too small for an adult. I would go with no less than 60l (preferably more), which is almost double the volume of your tank.
It will be alright for a juvenile until it grows up, though. If you have little or no experience keeping axolotls i would suggest getting a larger tank than usualy recommended. This way things will be a lot easier for you and your new animal.

Petshop staff are among the most unreliable information sources. It´s astonishing but quite true xD
You can find good, quality information in the CC articles in my signature.

Last edited:

Jadey

Reaction score
So whats a good size tank? In cm haha. Im not good with the liters stuff lol. I was thinking maybe like a 2ft tank? I think the one at the petshop was around 66cm long, 35cm wide & 35cm tall. Is that good for an adult? Also, how long until he would reach adulthood?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The 66cm long one would be good.
In captivity and with good conditions, they can reach adulthood in a year or less.

Jadey

Reaction score
Awesome :happy: thanks for that :happy::happy::happy:

Morrison

Reaction score
But if you want another axie one day then I would suggest a bigger tank. For one axie it's okay. :D

dazkeirle

Reaction score
the answer to this question is always yes :)

But honestly like what has been said, larger just makes life easier.

It makes cooling easier in the summer as it takes longer for the water to heat up after a cool night during the day.

It makes keeping water parameters healthy easier as waste to water ratio is less.

It makes keeping my Axie happier, easier, as he'll have more room to swim, climb, stand on three legs and all the other nuts stuff they do.

A larger tank will also allow you change up the display, add some entertainment or even plants. You'll soon find it's not just the axie you find interesting but the ornaments, or plants, or filtration setups etc.

a 3 foot, 160 litre litre I'd say is ideal for an adult, or even two as there's then ample room for a decent length when swimming. The more room you give it, the more you'll be rewarded with activity.

Jadey

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for all this :happy::happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1